Question EVGA RTX 3090 FTW 3 ultra fans way too loud.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Ok so I put in my RTX 3090 this morning and I set one of my games (World Of Warcraft) to 4k resolution and my 3090 fans are making so much noise they would wake a baby 5 miles away. Its quite annoying and not something I can live with. I've tried manually setting the fans to 33 and even 53% (Which they're quiet at) and it works for a few seconds, but then jumps up to 88% again and makes so much noise nails scratching across a chalkboard sounds more appealing.

Honestly the fans just sound horrible. I've already got a lot of money tied up into this video card and I'd like not to spend more (Before you suggest getting EVGA's watercooling kit for it). So, is there anything I can do? I mean, we buy 4k monitors to run games in 4k resolution...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
State the airflow situation.
-Chassis
-Fans used, location, intake/exhaust

Also, check gpu core, hotspot, and memory thermals with hwinfo.
I've tried manually setting the fans to 33 and even 53% (Which they're quiet at) and it works for a few seconds, but then jumps up to 88% again
The reason this most likely happens is due to temperatures exceeding a preset thermal threshold - it is not necessarily the card's thermal throttle limit.
Kind of like how some models have 0rpm mode active up until 60 or 70C, then the fans ramp right up to 80% or so.

If your custom curve isn't keeping thermals down enough, well, it's going to get ignored.

Reactions: Bassman999

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
What case do you have? Have you tried with the side off of the case?

Yes I have tried that the fans still run at 77-80% however they run fine if I dont run the game in 4k resolution. I have a Thermaltake View 71 RGB case that I bought a few years ago. The GPU temps dont get over 72c so I dont understand why the emergency speeds are kicking in. If the card were 85-90c yeah, I could see that

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
4 fans used front and back front is intake out is outtake. Running processor on water and most of the in case temperatures are fine, including motherboard which is at a cool 30c right now.

all drives including SSD under 44c.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
HW monitor doesn't run on my PC for some reason but I do have aida64 extreme and EVGA's software.

KCsDNQU

KCsDNQU.png

maybe this will help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
View 71, huh? That's one of those 'neutral pressure' chassis; because of all the open gaps, positive and negative pressure don't really apply.
So it doesn't look like it's an airflow issue...

Well, since hwinfo doesn't work, what's Precision say about how high(max) the core and memory get in game?

You may have to resort to undervolting to help get the power consumption reigned in. See here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/are-my-rtx-2070-super-temps-too-high.3708103/post-22351565
Replace hwinfo and Afterburner with Precision X.

Reactions: spentshells

jasonf2

Distinguished
20 years or so ago we purchased a dell server that was configured in a tower configuration for a web / lan management server (before cloud services existed). This is back in the single core days and this thing ran dual xeon dual cores which was impressive at the time for a small office and had a full scsi stack that could raid like 8-10 drives. It had hotswapable redundant power supplies and came in on a pallet. It wasn't a rack but a full+ size tower. The office space it was going into was limited and the only place it was able to go was in the back of a conference room we had. Not thinking too much about it we put the machine on a table in the back and fired it up the first time. The sound was something like a small jet engine winding up. It was so loud we had to rework air conditioning in a back closet to get it out of the conference room. The funny thing is that the unit would actually spin up to full RPM when the chassis was opened. We had purchased a watchdog card for the unit that would allow remote reboot and email alerts if the chassis was opened to secure the server. The chassis alarm was completely unnecessary though because the fans could be heard about anywhere in the building when the side cover was removed. I feel your pain.

Reactions: vov4ik_il
The sound was something like a small jet engine winding up.
Yepp, did you get to see a relay-based phone switch fabric work? I could hear it well outside the building...

As to the OP, you could try setting the Vertical SYnc to "ON" which would limit your FPS to the displayable number and stop drawing so much which in turn will lower heat production. WOW is not a shooter anyway.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Honestly that might just be how the EVGA cooling setup is designed to work. As a company they have never been particularly bothered about noise, and are more interested in low prices and high numbers (clock speeds) for the side of the box.

Running games in 4K puts a lot of strain on the card and will naturally cause it to heat up. Even with good airflow and low ambient temps (allowing you to reach 30C on the mainboard) then you will still need to dump a lot of heat from a 3090, more than 300W at full load.

WoW is running on a very old graphics engine so it would be interesting to know if other games cause the same thing. If you were to run COD Warzone at 4K for example do you experience the same fan noise?

My advice would be noise-cancelling headphones.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Please list full hardware specs, including PSU.
I find it very interesting that HWiNFO64 doesn't work on your system. What error do you get when you try to run it? Have you tried both the installer and portable versions? Have you run a full malware/virus scan lately?

It's not just that program. A lot of the times I try to run any program and it doesn't open the application at all.

Full specs are:

Corsair ax850
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra.
64 GB DDR4 ram (can't remember exactly model off the top of my head. Not on my desktop ATM, it is g.skill ram though.
Samsung 840 Pro (OS)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus (games)
ASUS ROG Strix z490-F
Intel Core I9 10850k (cooled with h150i water cooler)
In case external devices count I have a WD 4tb external hdd .

Have ram and cpu overclocked if that's relevant.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Honestly that might just be how the EVGA cooling setup is designed to work. As a company they have never been particularly bothered about noise, and are more interested in low prices and high numbers (clock speeds) for the side of the box.

Running games in 4K puts a lot of strain on the card and will naturally cause it to heat up. Even with good airflow and low ambient temps (allowing you to reach 30C on the mainboard) then you will still need to dump a lot of heat from a 3090, more than 300W at full load.

WoW is running on a very old graphics engine so it would be interesting to know if other games cause the same thing. If you were to run COD Warzone at 4K for example do you experience the same fan noise?

My advice would be noise-cancelling headphones.

I do run tomb of the shadow raider at full and normal settings and still get the same noise. If I run at 1440p I don't get it on any of my games.

Yeah WoW has barely upgraded its graphics in 16 ish years. I like playing it because I have friends there and because the game does look beautiful in its own way.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
View 71, huh? That's one of those 'neutral pressure' chassis; because of all the open gaps, positive and negative pressure don't really apply.
So it doesn't look like it's an airflow issue...

Well, since hwinfo doesn't work, what's Precision say about how high(max) the core and memory get in game?

You may have to resort to undervolting to help get the power consumption reigned in. See here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/are-my-rtx-2070-super-temps-too-high.3708103/post-22351565
Replace hwinfo and Afterburner with Precision X.

I posted a screenshot of what's on Precision X. I don't know much about GPUs and don't understand what all of it means. I've only overclocked one videocard in my life and that's because ASUS holds your hand through the whole thing and does it for you.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Interestingly I looked up some of the reviews for the 3090 FTW 3 and most people are saying its pretty quiet. There's something odd going on in your PC. HWInfo doesn't work as well, which is strange.

I would start by updating BIOS / Firmware on everything, followed by a full reinstall of Windows.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I posted a screenshot of what's on Precision X. I don't know much about GPUs and don't understand what all of it means. I've only overclocked one videocard in my life and that's because ASUS holds your hand through the whole thing and does it for you.
We're going to have to take this slowly then, likely starting with why hwinfo and other apps refuse to open.
Like, why would this and other apps not open?
Sounds like something's blocking them, be it virus/malware, or antivirus/anti malware, or the command to open them is lost in transit somehow, through Windows itself, or the storage drives...

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
We're going to have to take this slowly then, likely starting with why hwinfo and other apps refuse to open.
Like, why would this and other apps not open?
Sounds like something's blocking them, be it virus/malware, or antivirus/anti malware, or the command to open them is lost in transit somehow, through Windows itself, or the storage drives...

I have the pro version of malware bytes and its saying my PC is clean. It could be my windows installation I haven't installed Windows since I first built this computer when 10th gen processors came out. That was what? 2 years ago? I have been updating windows though I have the latest version of that and my BIOS is v1003 the second latest version. ASUS released a v2103 but the only feature that version of my bios does is add support for11th gen processors. I see that its not a beta anymore though so it might be worth a try.

But yeah, most programs do not open. The only way I'm able to play steam and blizzard games and run aida64 ..etc is because they boot with windows. Programs will boot with windows but they will not boot with the start menu. Sometimes my start menu wont even come up.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Interestingly I looked up some of the reviews for the 3090 FTW 3 and most people are saying its pretty quiet. There's something odd going on in your PC. HWInfo doesn't work as well, which is strange.

I would start by updating BIOS / Firmware on everything, followed by a full reinstall of Windows.

I didn't check if there was a new firmware for the 3090 FTW3 that could possibly be a big help. I ran games in 4k this afternoon too and my 3rd fan wasn't working at all. I had to set Precision X1 back to default to get the 3rd fan working again. Maybe that's why? I really hope not because odds are EVGA wont have the parts to fix my fans with the GPU crisis going on right now. I'll check for firmware first.

Question, I never really had to do this before, if I want to make a flash drive bootable so that I can stick Windows 10 on it, how do I do that? I have Bluray burner but nowhere in my case to stick it and I dont feel like hanging it by itself if I can reinstall windows through a flash drive.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It could be my windows installation I haven't installed Windows since I first built this computer when 10th gen processors came out.
Did you carry over the C drive from a previous computer?
If you didn't, you should be able to get away without clean installing Windows - though some people can have the worst luck...

I was questioning faulty storage, until you posted that the START MENU doesn't come up at times...

As for windows: If you have to pull the plug on that...

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Did you carry over the C drive from a previous computer?
If you didn't, you should be able to get away without clean installing Windows - though some people can have the worst luck...

I was questioning faulty storage, until you posted that the START MENU doesn't come up at times...

As for windows: If you have to pull the plug on that...

Umm no I installed Windows as a fresh install on my old SSD (840 Pro I believe)) when I built my computer and I havent touched it since. I used my new SSD for games (970 evo,plus) I built it when the 10850k came out.

This started happening maybe 4 months ago? Maybe it's malware I have to manually remove?

I think I can follow that, I'll reinstall windows and see if that helps.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
This is actually pretty normal. A lot of server-class systems go into 'fault mode' when the chassis is opened. Instant FX 5800 Ultra. ;)

Exactly, this. A computer with well designed airflow assumes that the case will be kept closed when the system is in operation. Opening it disrupts the flow of air, so the individual component fans have to ramp up to compensate.