Question EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra temps ?

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Hey TH family, recently i upgraded to a EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra as i got a decent deal, from a trader i trust and have been dealing with almost a decade, my card was mined for a bit. The trader was kind enough to give me a warranty for a week, in which i stress tested it for 7 to 8 hours almost daily with unigene superposition 8K benchmark, dd various tests with 3Dmark timespy and the new 3dmark speedway test. Played the next generation of witcher at 4k with all settings maxed with RTX on and DLSS set at quality for hours and hours, The card is fine and has no issues whatso ever. The reason i did thorough tests was that the card physically appeared to be in perfect condition but my issue is the cards maximum temps are in between 75C and 80C.

My question is are these temps normal for this specific RTX 3090 ? Also i have a Corsair 1000D super tower with 17 case fans, so the ventilation of the case is not an issue at my end.

Pushing the card fairly hard? Yes, those temps are normal. In fact, that card should be fine all the way up to about 90°C, at which point it should start throttling if it doesn't before that. Sustained operations at very high temps can eventually cause damage though so you'd prefer to not see it running regularly higher than about 85°C.

Right. But if we are talking strictly GPU temp, which I'd tentatively assume we were otherwise I'd hope (yeah, yeah, I know. We get some, ahem, less than intellectual visitors from time to time) they'd say that it was memory or hotspot, then it SHOULD be fine.

I guess it really depends on what it is you're doing while you have those temps and what the other sensors are saying as well.

It wouldn't hurt to install HWinfo, run "sensors only" (Not Summary), then run some kind of GPU stress or hardcore benchmark, and take screenshots of the GPU sensor data in HWinfo and post it here. Give it a few minutes to get nice and warm.

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Right. But if we are talking strictly GPU temp, which I'd tentatively assume we were otherwise I'd hope (yeah, yeah, I know. We get some, ahem, less than intellectual visitors from time to time) they'd say that it was memory or hotspot, then it SHOULD be fine.

I guess it really depends on what it is you're doing while you have those temps and what the other sensors are saying as well.

It wouldn't hurt to install HWinfo, run "sensors only" (Not Summary), then run some kind of GPU stress or hardcore benchmark, and take screenshots of the GPU sensor data in HWinfo and post it here. Give it a few minutes to get nice and warm.

Thank you for the detailed answer, yes i am strictly talking about the GPU core's temp not memory or the other new stuff which has started showing temps in GPUz the past few years. I did not mention the memory or the hot spot temps as i know they are always in the higher side.

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png

Why are your fan speeds not at 100%? Are you using Afterburner or another utility to control the fan curve and if so why is it set so low when the GPU load is showing 100% and approaching throttle temps? I'd make sure the fan curve for both fans is hitting 100% about the time the GPU temp reaches 85°C, at worst. Even lower if you can tolerate it.

Yeah, I guess so. Hotspot right at 90°C though so maybe just slightly higher fan curve all the way across the board or at least kind of tune it to where your hotspot is maybe a degree or two lower, just to give it a little headroom? I guess personal choice on that one but overall should be fine.

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
I think it isn't either, which is what I said from the start. Desiring to see "a little bit better thermals", which might in fact result in higher sustained boost behavior, is definitely not the same as "should be alarmed".

I had to read your reply 3 times over to realise i have nothing to worry about, for a second i thought you said i should be alarmed, i hope i got it right. Sorry english isn't my first language