EVGA sent me the wrong GTX 260?

dwluv3333

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi All,

Has this ever happened to anyone? I ordered a GTX 260 Core 216 regular (model 896-P3-1255-AR). However upon installation of Nvidia Performance I noticed that the clocks are a little out of whack, showing 626/1053/1350. I went to EVGA's website and noticed that these are actually the exact clocks for the GTX 260 core 216 Superclocked edition. So.. either my card has some incorrect default settings or they sent me the wrong card (I bought it new, so there ideally shouldn't have been someone else messing with the BIOS or whatever).

Has anybody had this happen to them before? Should I hurry up and underclock my GPU before it explodes on me? Or is this normal from EVGA? I did notice on a forum search that they did something similar with the 8800, in that the overclocked edition was the exact same as the regular on a physical level, just 30$ more to have the settings changed.

Thanks all for your feedback/input :)

It's pretty funny that you want to underclock it, most people overclock them to see how much more the can get out of it.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Good for you, you made out.

If they sell it has factory OC'ed chances are it was binned higher, and thus deemed safe to run at those speeds. After all they wouldn't sell something that they think/know is going to blow up on a customer.

Consider yourself lucky, and keep buying EVGA

dwluv3333

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Well I'm definitely grateful if it's truly a safe OC for the price of the regular. :) I just didnt think it was possible that this would happen, I would have thought someone messed up with it.