News EVGA Slashes $1,000 Off GeForce RTX 3090 Ti GPUs, Starting at $1,149

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Whoa... they can't have that many in stock, can they?

At $2149 if people wanted one they would have brought one months ago and if they need one now they would wait a couple of months and get something better. Kind of pointless for sales but it will get a lot of press.
In the UK prices have dropped to around £400-1500 with VAT about £100 more.

As for how many in stock I do not know, if they have a few it cost nothing for this cut if they have a load it is a fire sale as the next generation is not long away and these will become very expensive door stops.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
MSRP was beyond ridiculous back then, and based strictly on the market as it existed at the mercy of crypto-miners.

I've been seeing 3090 Tis being sold for under $1400, so, it's not surprising the prices are coming down like this. Plus, it's not going to be fun to have them sitting around in stock when the 4000 series comes out.

Reactions: Why_Me

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
As for how many in stock I do not know, if they have a few it cost nothing for this cut if they have a load it is a fire sale as the next generation is not long away and these will become very expensive door stops.

Hardly door stops. Even if the 4000s offer 20% improvement (random number) the vast majority of games won't seen any significant real world improvement. 150fps vs 180? is that really something anyone is going to notice.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
At $2149 if people wanted one they would have brought one months ago and if they need one now they would wait a couple of months and get something better. Kind of pointless for sales but it will get a lot of press.

Door stops..? Even the ones they have left during the RTX 40 launch still have use... they just don't want to give 'em away, is all.
Everything is profits first.
Seeing what some of these cards cost now, is probably their real price. EVGA's 3090Tis are now going for what their 2080Tis went for. Hmm...
"Bought a 3080Ti for around 1200 some months back? Right now, you could've gotten a 3090Ti for about the same price! Dang, that's a slap!"

Reactions: thisisaname

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
In the first place, cards in this price segment don't garner a lot of sales. So it is hardly surprising that they need to cut prices significantly to clear stock. In addition, most users will not find the 24GB VRAM meaningful, especially in games.

Issue specific to this EVGA model - This being a high end model in EVGA's lineup typically allows a higher power limit. Great for overclocking, but will run like an oven for most users. Which mean you may need a better PSU and cooling solution, which means extra cost.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
For such a niche card, without going into the pro line, not too surprising.

Considering that buying that versus say a 3080 right now does not make more difference for the mainstream market.

If crypto-mining goes the way of the dinosaurs, that'd be even better, since then the prices will really tank, and that cannot come soon enough, though with how slow regulation is happening and how a sucker is born every second, well... might not happen.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yeah... Even that $1149 is too much compared to the fake MSRP of the 3080 that was decent MSRP in the release, even if you could not get gpus at that price. Not two years later this new price is robbery. It should be much less than MSRP of 3080... sigh
This does not promise good for next gen prices...
This GPU now at $500 to $550 would be sensible. Last gen flagship that is supposed to be as fast as 4070ti, maybe slower with more vram.

Reactions: Kridian

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Yeah... Even that $1149 is too much compared to the fake MSRP of the 3080 that was decent MSRP in the release, even if you could not get gpus at that price. Not two years later this new price is robbery. It should be much less than MSRP of 3080... sigh
This does not promise good for next gen prices...
This GPU now at $500 to $550 would be sensible. Last gen flagship that is supposed to be as fast as 4070ti, maybe slower with more vram.
Unfortunately, price of halo products generally don't make any sense. Particularly with this generation of Nvidia and AMD cards, the gap between the halo and higher end GPU is too close because they are based on the same flagship die. Therefore, this sorts of card will only appeal to those who usually look for those Titan class cards where to it used to be very costly.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Still a terrible deal. If this was 6 months from the launch of the next generation or more, it might be something. Unless you absolutely need that level of performance right now, I would say pass.

Reactions: Kridian

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

Just pointing out a problem with logic. I agree the drop in prices is too small and too late. I'll get a 4000 card if they are available at reasonable prices.

Reactions: thisisaname

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
If I lived in the north, and if it was half that price, maybe, but I already have a space heater.
The funny thing is, the 3090/ti is barely a 4k card(It is the only team green gpu that is mostly legit 4k in my eyes), and it won't be one when the next couple of year's AAA titles come out(do people really buy 3090s to run them at 4k lowered settings?).
CP 2077 was just a taste of what is to come.

EVGA is selling a couple of custom GeForce RTX 3090 Ti graphics cards below MSRP.

EVGA Slashes $1,000 Off GeForce RTX 3090 Ti GPUs, Starting at $1,149 : Read more

AMD is releasing 7000 series soon. NVIDIA will be forced to respond by releasing their next gen cards, and dropping price on last gen.

I predicted a year ago price : performance ratio wouldn't change much between this gen and last.

I'm about to eat my words with a new prediction: Given the economy, low crypto investment, and the large generational performance gaps (4070 ~= 3090ti), and the absolute the market is willing to pay for a performance tier, I would say this gen will hit between 60%->70% of their original MSRP. So look for 3080 10GB to hit $420->$490 as mfg desperately try to push them out.

The only thing which will stop this is if a certain 7 countries don't bat heads.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i doubt we'll see such low msrp again. people have shown total willingness to spend crazy money for top end cards with no regards for power draw or anything else for that matter. so long as they get to check an extra box in the game settings.

msrp was creeping up before the crypto issues and though we may see it come down a little bit i don't see less than $1000 for top tier ever again. honestly i expect 4090, 4090ti and a titan edition to all be over $1000 and to sell out first couple months like they always do.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
"Bought a 3080Ti for around 1200 some months back? Right now, you could've gotten a 3090Ti for about the same price! Dang, that's a slap!"

A little bit, but for some people it has been over a year. That is a decent amount of time to have paid off a premium.

Adding another 100W power draw, not my idea of a good plan either, at the least I (and I am sure many others) would have to get a new power supply as well.

All depends on how much they are going to ask for the 4080.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Nvidia has to do something to clear inventory and make sales. Their preliminary earnings report just released shows a $1.4 Billion dollar miss compared to forecast. Their stock is down 8%. They need to clear inventory to make room on the shelves for the 4090, 4080 and especially 4070 for Christmas sales. The 60 and 70 SKUs are traditionally their best sellers. As such, if they want to see Christmas sale volumes, they really need the 4070 on shelves by Black Friday.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Given roughly 10% year on year inflation, I would expect a matching price increase. So, $750 to $800 MSRP for the 4080. (I know 10% of 700 is 70, but $770 is just a weird MSRP.)

They know what they've got, I would expect a $900 MSRP and $1000 AIB custom cards. Keep in mind they launched the RTX 2080 at $800 and the 2080Ti at $1200 simultaneously. (Which is why I didn't buy them) Launch price for the GTX1080 was $700...

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
Hardly door stops. Even if the 4000s offer 20% improvement (random number) the vast majority of games won't seen any significant real world improvement. 150fps vs 180? is that really something anyone is going to notice.
Biggest difference with say even the 4080 performance wise will not be just the added FPS but the added 2-2.5 times faster Ray Tracing performance and DLSS improvements over the 3090ti and probably at a cheaper price point to make the 40 series worth waiting for at this point.
Every week now that goes by the value on the higher sku 30 series cards gets less attractive and honestly the 3090 level cards need to get to below the $900 level at this point and the 3080 cards need to get to about $650 or less to look attractive to purchase now rather than holding out for the new better performing 40 series.
Biggest holdback on the 3080 cards aside from less performance of the 40 series is the amount of vram as compared to the 16g that will be on the new 4080 cards.

Reactions: blppt

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
They know what they've got, I would expect a $900 MSRP and $1000 AIB custom cards. Keep in mind they launched the RTX 2080 at $800 and the 2080Ti at $1200 simultaneously. (Which is why I didn't buy them) Launch price for the GTX1080 was $700...
They got a $1.4 Billion miss on earnings, a failing stock price, and angry AIB partners laying off workers because of falling sales and excess inventory sitting in their warehouses. Not to mention most in the industry are predicting flat sales at best next year. So, they basically have problems on top of problems heading into a recession.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They got a $1.4 Billion miss on earnings, a failing stock price, and angry AIB partners laying off workers because of falling sales and excess inventory sitting in their warehouses. Not to mention most in the industry are predicting flat sales at best next year. So, they basically have problems on top of problems heading into a recession.

I agree, but the people who have money to spend on new high end GPUs are going to be willing to pay top dollar (ie recession proof). These are the people that bought Titans and the Star Wars edition Titans, the Titan Z, the Titan Black, etc.

If they have an overstock of 30 series cards and the used market is booming, those can occupy the mid-range for the foreseeable future. No point making a product that won't sell. If they ONLY make high end 4070/4080/4090 they can sit on that for a whole generation and concentrate their efforts on profitable silicon.