EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Your reviews are so jaded. Anything for the ad dollars, right? Not going to go all the way here but as an example but why didn't you compare the Antec EA 650 Platinum power supply for a more fair apples to apples test instead of the Bronze 80 one? Yeah, I, know why. You guys just keep going down hill.

Walt Prill

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
Before you dive into conspiracy theories etc. can you tell me where you saw the bronze Antec unit? Last time I checked the Antec Edge 650 which is included in the comparison has Gold efficiency. Also I can only include PSUs which I tested with this setup and the EA 650 Platinum isn't among them. And even if it was it wouldn't do better than the EDGE 650 since it uses a budget, ACRF platform which offers average load regulation and ripple suppression.

And a piece of advice, better have your facts straight before you jump into conclusions.

Merry Christmas to all!

@Aris_Mp I think he's talking about the EA-650 Bronze on the first page of the review. The EA-650 Platinum is also on Newegg, and it's actually cheaper than the EVGA by $6.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N5004&cm_re=antec_ea_650-_-17-371-056-_-Product

Now that I think about it, none of the products on the first page are similar in price to this one while being Platinum, and the CoolerMaster is actually the wrong wattage. Why is that? The products should be similar in price, at least.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
I have no control on the product prices shown on the first page. This is an automated script that looks on all PSUs mentioned in the review and depicts their prices. Also since I don't have so many PSU reviews with 115V input, I have to include into my comparison charts, at least in some cases, PSUs that have slightly different capacity and features than the one under test. Once I have a capable PSU database this won't be a problem any more.

Also including a product in a pricing list is another thing with including it into a comparison chart. In any case I advice all of you not to lose the forest for the tree(s) and read the entire review before you draw any conclusions or make purchase decisions. Finally, in a PSU review the final rating is based on facts and numbers so the final rating is easily supported.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have been in electronic/electrical power distribution field since 1964 (old fogie, used slide rules {slip sticks} to study field effect transistors, heh) working/studying/troubleshooting in a large assortment of types and uses of devices for military and industrial and residential.

In gaming computer type PSU builders (not brandnames put on them), I like Super Flower, Seasonic, Antec and used to like PC Power and Cooling before the takeover, donno now. Forgot some I am sure. Use the performance list here to make PSU decisions in a fair manner.

I build gaming computers for family and friends and they kick ass for the cost and last a long time usually unless a part fails. 8800GT and 560ti video cards I liked. Now like GTX 970s and 960s for my money level. 750 and 750tis and some others nearby are only Direct X12 cards in 7 series lineup, go look it up in Wikipedia, despite deceptive advertising on Newegg that all 7 series cards are Direct X12 compatible, not like them. Must be nubies there for the holidays.

HATE changing OS just cause engineers need something to do, darn it. I know I simplify it, but it is THERE that they make you spend money and worse, learn their "NEW" way to make it work, how utterly fantastic for them. I think engineers are behind a lot of viruses so they can fix some of them, although there are bad actors for sure out there with extremists.

I think buying a well known brand (Lenovo, Dell, ASUS, etc) of regular NEW i5 4590 plain model cpu or so computer (absolutely NOT small form factor or s or t on end, ugh, regular-sized ATX board mid tower with 8 or 16GB of RAM, and a 1TB HrdDrve WD or Seagate included in price of about 500USD, then add a 240 or 500GB SSD recommended by Tom's, for OS and top games you play to load a lot faster by a wide margin, really. Steam takes up a LOT of room. Then put a good Nvidia GTX-970 or 960 into it and game away with a darn warrenty. Plus engineers have something to do with making all the parts work together, is quite a job........ really. People who make money depend on those types of puters to feed thier kids, they have to work right, not just having fun with them.

Really like Intel cpus and Nvidia 900 series video cards right now, dem magic, was a time I liked 3DFX(VooDoo2)SLI and ATI(RAGE) cards, even AMD cpus a decade or so back with the X2 64bit Athlons that buried Intel for a while.

TUROK Dinosaur Hunter is coming back, OMGosh. Game hooked me on 3D gaming for real.

EVGA seems to be broadening their approach to vending PSUs. Might prove interesting.
Usually the companies that have stayed in business for many decades are doing something right and it tells. EVGA hasn't yet, but seems to be trying hard, I like their brand of video cards and they support them well.

seriously something wrong with me, I could keep going and going, sorry....

Merry Christmas.

f-14

Distinguished
too expensive a good PSU should cost $10 per 100w on average nd at the cheapest be the price of the amps on the +12v rail so in this PSU's case average price $65 and sale priced at $54.

TomaszC

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I have a question regarding Fan RPM, Delta Temperature And Output Noise for load range 300W-400W - does the fan RPM changes smootchly in temperature/load function, or just switch from 0RPM to 800RPM?

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015

no smooth transition. It goes straight away to 600 RPM.

TomaszC

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Thank you Aris_Mp
Does the same algorithm applicable for Corsair RM750i ?
I'm going to buy one them.

Sam_201

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
What about the other parts of the hold up time tests ? Power ok and the other part that you cover in your new reviews ? Did it pass those ?

Status
Not open for further replies.