EVGA Supernova 650 watt GS with 1080 ti?

usr1235

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
This is my first time having quite so much money hooked up to my PSU. The 1080 ti is being shipped so I have time to pick up and slip in a new PSU if I need to (in for a penny, in for a pound, I guess) but I bought this one a couple years ago thinking it'd last for another GPU upgrade.

There are a lot of very similar questions on these forums, and from them and other research I'm perfectly comfortable with 650 watts. However, while there are lots of people asking about their EVGA 650 G2 and G3 units (and being reassured those are excellent units), I have the apparently less common, less excellent GS. From what I've read, the lower-wattage GS units (like the 650) aren't as high quality as the higher-wattages, for reasons like not being as good at ripple suppression on the +12V rail, having something like 50-60 mv under load. What's really the practical impact of that? Heat generation? I don't intend to overclock, and if I decide to in the future I'd definitely get a new PSU.

So, this isn't a wattage concern, but I guess a quality concern. I don't want to swap out a part unnecessarily, and I don't know if I over-researched this and am worried about nothing. Should I just spring for a more definitively high-quality PSU?

Solution
You'd be fine with the EVGA SuperNova 650 GS model. Though the G2's and G3's are slightly better in some factors, the GS's are not bad quality units. OEM of the GS models is Seasonic and are highly-reviewed as well.