Review EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5 Power Supply Review

Nov 26, 2019
Hello Aris , you still recommened the g3 ? , beacuse aparently is in tier Tier D - Not recommended https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/ , beacuse of OPP , the 850 g3 is good PSU for high end PC gaming ?
linus forums are spreading fear mongering. they use toms own reviews about the G3 series as their reasoning while simultaneously ignoring toms still recommendation for it IN THOSE SAME REVIEWS. they all of a sudden don't care about the authors opinion. they pick and choose what they want to hear and spread misinformation and instill paranoia and fear mongering into people. and also flat-out ignore jonnyguru reviews for it as well. while simultaneously using jonny's reviews for recommending other power supplies.

do yourself a favor and ignore that dumb list. the guy who took control of it is going on a fear mongering spree and has admitted hes basing everything off his own opinion rather than facts. he doesn't like single rails and telling people single rails will blow up on them if you use them in units past 600 watts or so. he's not correcting users going around on that forum stating single rails don't support ocp / opp. he's spreading misinformation about a plethora of power supplies, hes ranking power supplies that are objectively worse over nitpicking stuff. like the g3 opp that's only a concern if you ARE ALREADY PUSHING THE POWER SUPPLY BEYOND ITS RATED SPEC NO MATTER WHAT EVEN WITH GOOD OPP YOU WILL STILL HAVE PROBLEMS IN THOSE SCENARIOS OVER TIME OF CONSTANT PUSHING OVER SPEC.

sorry for my rant but linus power supply tier has been the worse thing to come about in the community.

WigitMigit

Prominent
May 8, 2019
Could I download evga's software and adjust the fan curve to deal with the loud fan issue? Or does their software not work with the g5 lineup

Dec 28, 2019
There is an issue with this review IMO.

Active Clamp Reset Forward designs characteristically hold steady voltages better.

The criticism regarding transient response is flawed in that it is not tested the way that people are actually going to use the things, ie with the caps in place.

While I'm sure no one is stamping an official seal of approval on PSUs, I'd imagine they'd be ripped on pretty hard if it didn't actually adhere to ATX specifications.

Evga's marketing wank goes on about the higher quality capacitors on the output board. A more useful test, IMO, would be to test that transient response under conditions that people are actually using the thing. Given that it only slightly failed this testing methodology without the caps, I'm left to believe that it would do just fine tested in a real world situation.

Dec 28, 2019
What does the "No Caps" in the title of the charts on page 4 even mean?

Good question. There is this quote on their testing method as well:
"We should note that the ATX spec requires capacitive loading during the transient rests, but in our methodology, we also choose to apply a worst case scenario with no additional capacitance on the rails. "

No additional meaning no external? No additional meaning testing pre-cap internal to the PSU?

If you are going to post worst case scenario, I think its fair to post typical results and maybe best case as well.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
The criticism regarding transient response is flawed in that it is not tested the way that people are actually going to use the things, ie with the caps in place.

Sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about here.

they use toms own reviews about the G3 series as their reasoning while simultaneously ignoring toms still recommendation for it IN THOSE SAME REVIEWS.

Did you actually read the review ? Here's the bit about that issue :

In our opinion, this PSU's over-power protection is set too high; it should kick in at around 120-125% of the maximum-rated capacity to keep the +12V rail within spec.

and also flat-out ignore jonnyguru reviews for it as well. while simultaneously using jonny's reviews for recommending other power supplies.

OklahomaWolf doesn't test performance past 100% rated load, there's nothing to ignore in this case.

In my opinion (and Aris's too) PSU should stay in spec under any operating conditions. I.e if it doesn't shut down it should stay in spec. But i agree that this is unlikely to happen under normal operating conditions most users would use it with. If we consider only sub 110% load operation it indeed looks like decent PSU, but if you actually read other Aris reviews you'll see that vast majority of even budget PSUs don't have the same issue as EVGA G3. It's also entirely possible that SF have already fixed that in newer revisions but EVGA doesn't work with SF anymore all this thing about G3 are really pointless, you're not gonna buy it.

he doesn't like single rails and telling people single rails will blow up on them if you use them in units past 600 watts or so.

I would've asked you for a quote but you wouldn't be able to provide it, Luke didn't say that. What he did say is that due to very high OCP triggering point on high-wattage single-rail PSUs there's non trivial chance that smth that triggers a short on 12V rail would disintegrate way before OCP would be able to shut it down, potentially resulting in fire and damage to other components. With multi-rail PSUs which have way lower OCP trigger points it's less likely to happen. That's the whole point OCP in fact, and multi-rail compliments it by splitting the load on multiple rails resulting in lower trigger points.

sorry for my rant but linus power supply tier has been the worse thing to come about in the community.

Sorry for necropost but this is pure <Mod Edit>. If you don't like the opinion put into that tier list then just ignore it. It's not possible to make a tier list without any opinions at all.

Or if you do actually want to improve it - just go there and suggest your improvements. No need to run around tripping over calling that tier list and it's maintainers dumb, it's community project, you're calling community dumb.

Dec 28, 2019
Kindly enlighten me then. I make no claims that I know what I'm talking about here. However, the review clearly states that the PSU isn't tested under the conditions it was designed for. I ask what value is there in a review if it's findings are meaningless outside a lab? I equate it to testing a sedan offroad and then saying it sucks. I really would like to know.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Kindly enlighten me then.

Admittedly i'm not an expert. But this is not about testing PSU 'without caps' as you might think (or at least i got an idea that you think this way). The PSU itself is intact. Intel ATX specification states this :
The power supply shall be unconditionally stable under all line/load/transient load conditions including capacitive loads specified in Section 3.2.6. A minimum of 45 degrees phase margin and 10 dB gain margin is recommended at both the maximum and minimum loads.
Now, if you look at the table in section 3.2.6, they list 3300 mF capacitive load on ALL rails, including 3.3V, 5V, -12V and 5V standby. Again, i'm not an expect but i have no idea what capacitive load you'll find with this level of capacitance in any modern or old PC for that matter on minor rails. There are some capacitance present on 12V rails from motherboard and GPU VRM filtering caps, but considering that modern PCs don't even use 3.3V and 5V that much, you wouldn't find any capacitance on these rails at all, and -12V rail isn't used at all. In short, that's <Mod Edit>, and Aris being an actual expert (in contrast with us) might know better what testing conditions correspond to real-life loads better than what's described in three decades old specifications.

Last edited by a moderator: