EVGA SuperNova G2 650w power supply + MSI R9 390 & Placement.

DigitalDiva

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
System:
Corsair Graphite Series 760T
ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K6
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R CPU Cooler Red LED
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
Intel I7-6700
Windows 10 home

First Question. Can my current system handle the MSI R9 390 without any problems?
Second Question. I read an article that said that my power supply does not have (OTP) and is semi-passive and that it should not be installed with the fan down. However, my case has a vent/dust filter right below the PSU and I installed it with the fan facing down to take advantage of the vent. Is this wrong ? Should I reinstall my PSU the other way before I install the R9 390? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Solution
They are correct that the unit does not have over temperature protection, but that should not be a problem. In your case, the PSU is bottom-mounted and the fan faces down and sucks in cool air from beneath the case, so no GPU exhaust will get into the PSU. As for semi-passive operation, it's a great thing, not a bad thing, and you can turn it off if you want. Semi-passive just turns off the fan when the temps are low, and if the PSU temps increase, the fan turns on. It is a very high quality unit and sufficient for your system specs. Enjoy gaming!
They are correct that the unit does not have over temperature protection, but that should not be a problem. In your case, the PSU is bottom-mounted and the fan faces down and sucks in cool air from beneath the case, so no GPU exhaust will get into the PSU. As for semi-passive operation, it's a great thing, not a bad thing, and you can turn it off if you want. Semi-passive just turns off the fan when the temps are low, and if the PSU temps increase, the fan turns on. It is a very high quality unit and sufficient for your system specs. Enjoy gaming!

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
He is wrong!!!!!!!!

It has OTP !!!!!!!!!!!

EVGA FORUM POST.

yFwupRN.png

DigitalDiva

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016

Nick_50

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Just been looking at this, I've bought this PSU and am now concerned about the lack of over temperature protection. One comment suggests the fan will spin when it needs to but if the fan fails and the PSU is at load then will it just heat up until it burns? This could happen whether you have eco mode on or off.

I have mine installed fan down with an air hole in the bottom of my case and eco mode on so its silent but it seems a bit dangerous that any PSU can't shut down if high temperatures are reached, especially on semi passive units.

I saw the info stating it does have OTP but various reviews and spec sheets clearly say its not on this unit so its quite confusing.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

It has OTP

EVGA FORUM POST.

yFwupRN.png

TRENDING THREADS