Evga Titan X. 1440p or 4K?

Itsfreezin

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hi friends,

I have recently purchased an EVGA Titan X for a screaming deal ($700 USD) and put it into my rig, replacing my gtx 970 sli for simplicity and hopes for 4K gaming. An upgrade from the 1080P that I have become used to.
However this is where I am a little troubled.
With framerates what they are, and the kinds of options out there, I am unsure which route to go. While I love the idea and initially got the card for 4K, the only option I see out there: (Link) Is capable of a max 60hz when connected through display port. That isn't bad, I don't think, however my friends are telling me that I am better off going down the route of a 1440p monitor like this one: (Link)
The cost of the two is about the same, and that is nice and all, but the resolution of 4K is just super pretty.

What route should I take? Based off of your experience, should I get a 4K display at 60hz, or do I really want to get a 1440p at 144hz? I have come seeking your guidance, and all (applicable) input is appreciated.

|Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz|Gigabyte Gaming 3 mobo|EVGA Titan X| Samsung SSD|Heart of gold|

1440p is great especially when coming from 1080p, with a card like the Titan, you can crank AA if it bothers you. that 1440p monitor has a great response time and G-sync, which makes games even smoother. On the flip side, a single Titan cannot go above 60 FPS at 4K on many games, and with some monitor overclocking (yes it is a real thing), you might never need to worry, but lower frame rates are guaranteed at 4K and not having G-sync seems like a large disadvantage when you are certain to have FPS dips.

I tend to lean to higher pixel count than refresh rates. I do agree that the best monitor on the market are 1440p monitors, but it would be disappointing to have a titan x and not run it at UHD. UHD has ruined all other resolutions to me since makes games look so damn sharp. If you make me choose, I will take UHD everytime.

Yeah, but I just feel that it will be much smoother on the 1440p especially with g-sync and the great 144 Hz refresh rate. and a decent 4K monitor is way over budget. also, as this person has never done 4K they should not get disappointed. I agree though 4 K is phenomenal, but if I had less money, I would certainly get 1440p.