News EVGA to Stock 'Thousands' of Nvidia RTX 3080 Ampere GPUs This Week

InvalidError

Titan
RTX3080 - launched Oct. 16, 2020, general availability some time in 2021.

Doubt there is enough time left in 2020 to ramp up 3070-3090 productions enough to meet holidays demand, especially if the new generation turns out to be as popular with ETH miners as early numbers on the RTX3080 hint they may become once someone tweaks the algorithm specifically for them.

RTX3080 - launched Oct. 16, 2020, general availability some time in 2021.

Doubt there is enough time left in 2020 to ramp up 3070-3090 productions enough to meet holidays demand, especially if the new generation turns out to be as popular with ETH miners as early numbers on the RTX3080 hint they may become once someone tweaks the algorithm specifically for them.
I was thinking the same. Hope we're wrong, though. I am more interested in the 3070 and 3060, and am hoping there will be plenty of stock for those GPUs. Never understood why there isn't enough stock on initial releases. It's like they're testing to see how well they're going to sell, before ramping up manufacturing. I suppose that does make sense, somewhat. But considering BIg Navi is soon to be released, you'd think NVIDIA would want to flood the market with these new GPUs, to avoid losing sales to AMD.

RareAir23

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
To @hotaru.hino's comment, whether or not it'll be the same song and dance as last Thursday morning depends on 1 thing really. The 1 thing that made Thursday so successful for the bot users/scalpers: a date and time. The reason these bots were so successful that day is because nVIDIA blew all non-bot users chances of getting cards when they announced a date and time. You see, for these bots to have the greatest success they need to be programmed and scripted properly ahead of time to get the most out of them. eVGA and Jacob F there are playing coy about that right now and that is wise. If the bot users/scalpers don't have a date and time to program/script their bots to they then have to ready them on the fly as soon as they see In Stock alerts at say NowInStock.net. That takes time. That gives us a limited time window to possibly get one. There you have it and until next time I am out!

Never understood why there isn't enough stock on initial releases. It's like they're testing to see how well they're going to sell, before ramping up manufacturing. I suppose that does make sense, somewhat. But considering BIg Navi is soon to be released, you'd think NVIDIA would want to flood the market with these new GPUs, to avoid losing sales to AMD.
Unfortunately the reality is that the $700+ market for video cards is relatively dry compared to the $200-$400 market. Flooding the market with millions upon millions of GPUs at this cost wouldn't really be in their best interest, especially since they can make a lot more 104 and 106 GPUs and really push the volume out the door.

And let's be honest, if a company has a hot product they can sell, as long as it continues to sell, they wouldn't give a wooden nickel to what else goes on in the world.

To @hotaru.hino's comment, whether or not it'll be the same song and dance as last Thursday morning depends on 1 thing really. The 1 thing that made Thursday so successful for the bot users/scalpers: a date and time. The reason these bots were so successful that day is because nVIDIA blew all non-bot users chances of getting cards when they announced a date and time. You see, for these bots to have the greatest success they need to be programmed and scripted properly ahead of time to get the most out of them. eVGA and Jacob F there are playing coy about that right now and that is wise. If the bot users/scalpers don't have a date and time to program/script their bots to they then have to ready them on the fly as soon as they see In Stock alerts at say NowInStock.net. That takes time. That gives us a limited time window to possibly get one. There you have it and until next time I am out!
At this point a time frame really doesn't matter. They know the GPUs will trickle in and all they have to do is repeated checks of inventory across the internet and the moment one is in stock, a massive flood of botters will swoop in for the kill.

There's even a service dedicated to this: Bounce Alert.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That’s not really a reassuring number given it’s all retail channels.

On the bot front has anyone considered the alternatives to screw with scalpers? I know a lot of eBay auctions are already getting flooded with massive $70k plus bids.

Wouldn’t it be easy enough to continue to up bid to the sky these auctions effectively making them unsellable or as hard as possible to do so? It only takes an army of angry consumers and junk eBay accounts to keep bidding them beyond the realm of reasonable scalping. Keep doing this on all fronts to where it’s more hassle to scalp than it’s worth.

InvalidError

Titan
Never understood why there isn't enough stock on initial releases. It's like they're testing to see how well they're going to sell, before ramping up manufacturing.
Just-in-Time / LEAN manufacturing would easily explain that: by minimizing inventories across the manufacturing and distribution chain, you minimize warehousing costs and the time it takes for flawed/defective inputs to get caught by end-users so you may be able to take corrective action (ex.: adding thermal pads on VRAM) before tens of thousand more units come off the assembly line, which is what could happen with a "flood the market" launch, then you end up having to scrap or rework months worth of production.

A slow production ramp also has the benefit of lower tooling costs since you have fewer production lines running longer.

Just-in-Time / LEAN manufacturing would easily explain that: by minimizing inventories across the manufacturing and distribution chain, you minimize warehousing costs and the time it takes for flawed/defective inputs to get caught by end-users so you may be able to take corrective action (ex.: adding thermal pads on VRAM) before tens of thousand more units come off the assembly line, which is what could happen with a "flood the market" launch, then you end up having to scrap or rework months worth of production.

A slow production ramp also has the benefit of lower tooling costs since you have fewer production lines running longer.
I'm also suspecting that system builders have also placed their quantity orders and NVIDIA and their board partners have to honor those first over loose cards to put on the market.

So maybe there were a lot of cards in stock, but they were destined for somewhere else.

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
i will wait until the 3080 hybrid arrives. you cant beat water when in comes to cooling a vga card. (CPU may be) i did inquire about it and as per the answer i got the 3080 hybrid will come most probably after 3070 launch.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019

Ethereum hash is memory hard. One Radeon VII or two RX 5700 XT will easily outpace the 3080--probably even the 3090.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Just-in-Time / LEAN manufacturing would easily explain that: by minimizing inventories across the manufacturing and distribution chain, you minimize warehousing costs

That's why shipping by sea is the preferred method currently. It's slower but you're at least assured there's a place for your products to go. Air cargo capacity can suddenly disappear on short notice.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Honestly if nobody buys from the scalper (aka scumbags) and they are stuck with the inventory. All they will have is the hyper inflated Ebay listings and maxed out creditcards (paying interest on it hopefully), on the cards they are trying to sell. They won't have the purchasing power to buy more cards. It's really that simple.

That's why people keep saying, don't buy from scalpers. Because when you do, they get their money back and then some. They can then use that to pay their creditcards and go on another buying spree with bots.

I see the scalpers on Ebay have wisened up and switched to "Buy it Now" with ultra high prices. They can keep those cards for all I care. They won't get a nickle from me.

Reactions: hannibal
Sep 21, 2020

Not having a date and time is a bad thing for everyone who isn't a scalper. They are running bots 24/7 and for profit, meaning people can afford to keep them maintained. Without a specific time, regular people have no clue when the stock will come in, but bots will see the restock in seconds. They aren't running these stores like nuclear codes that keep changing. The bots will still work and regular customers will only find out long after it's sold out. They need a set date and a website overhaul at the same time to beat the bots. Let everyone know when it is restocking and break the bots coding as they become available. That way humans can jump on the stock while bots have to be readjusted to the new website protocols.

magnusb

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Why don't they let us pre-order, figure out the demand, start producing and give people an idea on how long this will take.
That will give them an opportunity to verify who is a scalper as well.

As is this is a train wreck.
If NVIDIA can't deliver I'll buy AMD.

InvalidError

Titan
Why don't they let us pre-order, figure out the demand, start producing and give people an idea on how long this will take.
That will give them an opportunity to verify who is a scalper as well.
Consumers rarely like being told there is a 2-3 months lead time on their order and may have changed their mind by then. A pre-order process won't stop scalpers and miners, it only gives them more time to organize and figure out how to fill the queue so people who were on the fence with placing pre-launch orders will end up even further behind.

hannibal

Distinguished
I agree... this is lose, lose sitation. Bots work 24/7... we humans can not compete with that. The only thing is to make it so that bots can not work and making webpages change just before huge rush by normal and bot customers is sure way to the deepest h***.
only if scalpers can not get money, can prevent this... and requires that no one in the world buys from scalpers... I can not see that hapening. Too Many wants these too much...
And yeah... waiting 2 to 4 months or paying $300 extra now is too tempting to too Many people...

ecga getting thousends of GPUs... that is like trying to end fire by one shot class! We will be waiting for these for quite a long time... the demand is hundred of thousends... not thousends...

RareAir23

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Hold on there @hannibal...you're saying on ebay the markup is $300? It's more like from 2X to 4X the price of the card on average. Some people as you say will pay the multiplied markups...many won't. I'm one of the many who won't. But you're right...people must avoid not just ebay but also Amazon 3rd party vendors, who are also selling 3080's...1 card at a time for as little as $1349.99 to as high as $2999.99. The site StockX must also be avoided as many 3080's scalped are for sale there too. I know because I've seen the listings on Amazon and laughed...then cried. Out!

Thomas Wells

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Oh and for the love of god ebay ("I sold my old gpu before I got a new one") people no one is going to buy your old @ss 2080 ti for $1500-2000 just because that is what you paid for it. Sheesh