EVGA Unleashes Four GTX 1070 Ti Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
all of the cards are shipped with a base clock of 1,607MHz and boost frequency of 1,683MHz, a requirement purportedly laid out by Nvidia for all of the third-party GPU vendors.

Uhm, why? This is exactly how the consumer could differentiate between the different AIB partner models among the same brand. How stupid of Nvidia to yet throw in another layer of confusion for everyone deciding between EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and ASUS variants. I don't ever remember Nvidia mandating this for a GPU before. :pfff:

Oh and $500 for the FTW2 variant is getting dangerously close to what you can get an EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming for:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322717-REG/evga_08g_p4_6583_kr_geforce_gtx_1080_sc2.html

Yeah, does kinda sound stupid of them with the clockspeeds. A paltry boost IMO. The reasoning (at least from Nvidia) is simple, so it doesn't get too close to the 1080 in performance that it impacts on the sales of the 1080 too much. Cynical, but expected. But given 3rd party vendors are seemingly offering workarounds in one form or another, it will be interesting to see just how close the 1070ti gets to the 1080.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Surely, you mean between EVGA and MSI only? Because only uncultured barbarians would choose anything else.

Yep. At this point if I were in the market, I'd do research on the best overclocking results with the same series of other models. I'm very happy with the overclocking of my EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Gaming ICX (I was also very happy with my former SLI 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ overclocking getting those up to reference 980 performance).

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
In my opinion the best move is to lock base and boost clocks, much better than the buy, test card and then return "lazy" overclockers shenanigans (another honest buyer will buy it again as new)'.
Let the design, thermals, sound levels, and control software differentiate brands.

I strongly disagree. Throughout history in AIB offerings there have been reference stock speed GPUs for those on more of a budget and then extreme factory overclocked ones for those willing to shell out $50 or more over the base model. When you deal with better cooling solutions and things like more power phases, it can make quite a difference in performance out of the box - let alone overclocking success on top of out of box performance. This is what enthusiasts enjoy. I know of nobody who buys a reference blower cooler GPU expecting it to overclock as high as a factory overclocked dual or triple fan variant.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I really don't understand the market for this card.... You have the GTX 1080 for $499 which can be overclocked and has more VRAM to boot.. I was expecting this TI to sit somewhere in the $325-$350 range.

Just get a 1080

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The way I read it, it seems to me like every gpu is set the same. But that doesn't mean every card is. Evga states that you can OC via software. So the only thing that's changed, for example, between an FTW and an SC is the factory applied OC. Now if you look at the FTW, it's got specific requirements. Evga determines what they are, builds the card, then tests it. If the gpu is stable at the applied clocks, it's shipped as an FTW, if it fails, it's set at SC clocks and sold as an FTW DM. The SC uses a reference pcb, the FTW uses a custom pcb.

What's to stop Evga from doin the exact same thing for a FTW 1070ti, but resetting the clocks at nvidia specified, then including a instructions manual telling the purchaser to OC the card to FTW levels using PrecisionX, and the card will do it, whereas an SC will be pot-luck. As it is now.

gjbaker003

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Man, I just love the simplicity of EVGA cards and the way they look. Not all things "gaming" need to look like a triangular monstrosity. I understand that the Asus ROG cards are some of the best performing cards on the market, but they are hideous in my opinion and that GPU sag! Now if only EVGA would stop production on their "tube t.v." full-tower case. That thing is beyond ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.