EVGA X299 DARK & Windows XP system, building advices needed

May 27, 2018
Hi guys, I am building the EVGA X299 DARK paired with 7740X based system for running it with Windows XP.

Please suggest the best Memory and the fastest available Storage option for this system.

Would greatly appreicate cooling (yes, I'll OC it) and power options too!

Thanks

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
First off, you'll need to have some sort of GPU installed in the system since the CPU has no onboard video. Second, Windows XP will most likely not run properly on a new system and considering manufacturers only support Windows 10 on all new hardware, you'll be hard pressed to get it work at all. Break down and buy Windows 10 and if you really need to use Windows XP, run it in a virtual machine.

May 27, 2018
Thank you mcconkeymike for your answer! Interestingly this particular mobo is officially supporting XP, only that's why it catched my attention and I decided to try to build something with it for my number-crunching oldie application. I dont do music, no gaming, no browsing, just massive long lasting math calculations that only require single thread performance, that's it. I tried virtual machine but again it noticeably slows down performance and speed over native install. I currently use factory built system powered with 1690v2 under xp but if I can build myself something faster using modern new components readily available I'd gladly go for it.

Sure if GPU is needed it will be added. Any advice on some affordable GPU compatible with this system and I suppose it should be compatible (have drivers) with XP as well?

Thanks a lot Mattp2017 for your suggestion on Memory ad Storage!

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017

Here is a cheap GPU that will work for you..... https://www.newegg.com/global/sg/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX2M33639

May 27, 2018
This is an answer I got from EVGA: "Windows XP only has limited Support for Benchmarking purposes. It will not support XP as a fully functional OS. It only has drivers, built into the board for the ASMedia SATA controller. There are no other specific drivers available for XP, as a majority of the board functions will not work with XP. To run Windows XP, you will need to put the board into Legacy mode."

So in other worlds, i won't be able to use XP normally on this system?

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017

Legacy mode runs fine. It may boot up a little slower but you won't lose any features.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
May 27, 2018
XP existed officially 13 years and there is a ton of scientific, industrial, professional software written during this period that cannot be replaced or renewed anymore so easily so there's still demand in it among the professionals, native installs still outperform various current emulations...

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017

I agree. I would personally go for windows 10. But he said he is wanting to use xp and technically it will work.

g-unit1111

Titan

You're not seriously suggesting a $36 cooler for a $400 CPU are you? The X299 CPUs are vastly different in terms of cooling and will require a lot more to cool. I wouldn't get anything less than a D15 or a liquid cooler if that's what you're going for.

If you want to use an EVGA Dark this is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($469.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler ($182.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: EVGA - X299 DARK EATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($405.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($410.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($197.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($112.59 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($749.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2835.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-07 17:20 EDT-0400

May 27, 2018

I do have Windows 10 on my personal laptop and I like it, I use it for anything but work, as a workhorse it's a no go due to thermal throttling issues.
Honestly I tried to run and test the 10 on my 1690v2 powered workstation too and running work application in xp in virtual machine but as I said before native install is much more effecient and faster than VM no matter what settings I tried. When difference bewteen calculations performed in native and emulated installs counted not in hours but days, that matters (

May 27, 2018

g-unit1111 thanks a lot for your suggestion!

CPU - I will be using 7740X as it has the best single core performance atm

Regarding memory selection - I don't loose hope and still expecting to have Windows XP properly installed and to be fully operational on X299 so I can use it for my personal needs, therefore do I really need 32GB option if the 32 bit XP does not see anything above 4GB? For example right now I am running WIndows XP on my workstation and my tasks manager indicates the system is using 1.5GB under full operational load.

Regarding Video Card selection - Do I really need all the power and excellence of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card if the system will never be used for gaming, video rendering, 3D modelling/photo editing, it will never be used for watching movies either, it won't be even connected to the internet (the only purpose of the system is math modelling so technically its just a big fast sci data calculator)?

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017

He's not using it for gaming or oc'ing it. No way he needs liquid cooling. Actually the stock heatsink would work fine.

Conclusion: A VRM Heatsink That Isn’t Garbage
EVGA’s PCH fan placement, although limited in its impact to VRM thermals, is brilliant: The fan is able to provide some marginal amount of airflow to the secondary part of the VRM heatsink, ensuring that hot air doesn’t remain trapped under the IO shroud. Finning the VRM heatsink also means that the board is able to operate almost entirely without direct VRM cooling, which means no VRM throttling in our testing. We tested up to 4.5GHz at 1.24V in open air, and found that the heatsink alone was largely sufficient. Placing this into an enclosure would benefit from the VRM fans, but you could run them at lower (~4000) RPMs to help with noise management.

"EVGA has done well with the X299 DARK. The BIOS still needs work, and we’re actively analyzing the PCB and VRM, but the cooling is best-in-class. EVGA has no competition right now, at least for VRM heatsinking. We wish EVGA would consider transplanting this board design over to Threadripper, but in a world of aesthetics-first heatsinks, we’ll take what we can get. Job well done on the heatsink, certainly."

"This CPU Cooler is a 135mm air-cooled model. While liquid CPU coolers are more generally more effective, they are most often not necessary in environments using stock clockspeed and voltage settings.

"Air coolers however, provide an extremely reliable solution, while minimizing risk of failure. In the event that the CPU fan dies, the case cooling fans provide enough secondary airflow to keep the system running long enough to get a replacement fan. This is not possible with water cooling."

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
My mistake...... I just now notice you said you plan to OC so water cooling is definitely a nice option. I still think air cooling will work fine. I have always used it and I have an OC'd i7 and use it for gaming and my CPU stays nice and cool.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes except the X299 CPUs do not include stock coolers. Plus the X299 CPUs use TIM and the heat sink is not soldered on, they get very hot very fast and they generally require a lot more to cool than simple standard stock cooling.

My mistake...... I just now notice you said you plan to OC so water cooling is definitely a nice option. I still think air cooling will work fine. I have always used it and I have an OC'd i7 and use it for gaming and my CPU stays nice and cool.

I still wouldn't use Arctic Coolers - most of them are cheap junk. I went with a liquid cooler mainly for aesthetic reasons. A triple fan radiator is probably overkill, you could scale down to a 280mm and be fine.

May 27, 2018
Studied X299 Dark User's manual today and this is all what I could find related to Windows XP (screenshots):

2b2j45.jpg

2ezs282.jpg

2449obq.jpg

Does it look promising that XP will be eventually installed and fully operational as normal?

g-unit1111

Titan

I think in this case what I would do would be get a program that would allow you to run multiple operating systems on the same PC. Then you can setup one drive or partition to run Windows 10, and then you can run another drive and partition to support Windows XP. That way you can guarantee driver compatibility and OS stability with Windows XP and still have the full functionality of the other OS without resorting to an emulator.

TRENDING THREADS