EVGA's Classified SR-X Motherboard Hits the Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobalert

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
so do u kinda PSU do u need for this thing?

and will it fit in a Extended ATX case like my Thermaltake Level 10 GT?

G

[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Now THAT is an extreme gaming platform MoBo.Cheers![/citation]
Do you even know what Xeon is?

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
um if EVGA was going to build a extremeist's board why go with the E7 CPUs instead of the E5s? also why is it only PCIe x16 until you put in a 4th card? are the E5 Xeons not able to do 2 PCIe 3.0 x16 each? that one kinda got me. now for my replies to comments above
@phamhlam if they included IDE/PATA that would just waste clock cycles of the board's chips as if you have this kind of rig you are most likely not going to be using anything sort of 6Gbps SATA and 6Gbps SAS and/or PCIe SSDs as this is built for proformance and IDE/PATA just isn't that good anymore.
@JasonAkkerman the Quadro 6000's even in SLI x2 will be better by the soon to come out Quadro 7000 which has updated firmware and a newer architecture one it for better performance thus hopefully that will translate to shorter renders and whatever you will use it for as Quadro cards are not as good as GeForce cards when it comes to gaming even though their stats are right up there with the best GeForce cards if not above the BIOS will need to be reprogrammed for it to preform as well in gaming but doing that will degrade its blender, 3DMAX, and other 3D animation environment program's rendering ability as for the original render and in game renders it is different what the card does.
@noobalert no idea what kind of PSU you will need for it but getting a 1 Kilowatt or above Sever PSU will work very well for it as the redundancy helps in keeping it up and running for longer and 1KW is enough to drive most anything unless you want to go with 4x SLI or 4x CrossFireX.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
sorry about the double post just i think i hit the character limit.
@dragonsqrrl it will NOT be a rendering farm as it is only one Sever
@gokanis why would you need even more than one of these unless you are doing some very intensive data center and/or application sever stuff?
@subblime2k yes i know what a Xeon is and its a TON of cash to get one but i would still have liked to see it have supported E7s instead of E5s as the E7s are well better at what us the consumers would actually be using with that also has more ports supported.

For those who do not know what a XEON CPU is it is a Sever class Intel CPU ment for dual or quad socket boards, quad socket Intel boards a little harder to find though. It is also a higher quailty CPU and NOT made to be OCed in anyway which i know of. With that Xeon CPUs also last a lot longer then your typical consumer CPUs as they are the cream of the crop and priced thusly.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]Do you even know what Xeon is?[/citation]
Yeah, isn't that thingy that is flickering in may garage? Or is it neon?...hmmm lol

G

[citation][nom]yumri[/nom]@subblime2k yes i know what a Xeon is and its a TON of cash to get one but i would still have liked to see it have supported E7s instead of E5s as the E7s are well better at what us the consumers would actually be using with that also has more ports supported.[/citation]
My point is that it's not a gaming CPU.

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
How about a pair of E5-2620 (6-Cores)? Cant you over clock them to like 3.2Ghz from their stock 2 Ghz? How well is it for gaming and rendering?

Sad part is, unlike the SR-2, the SR-X is limited by the cpu for overclocking.

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=1485672

Quote from their Product Manager.
Well there are 2 parts to this question...

Does the board support OC'ing: Yes

Does the board support OC'ing on current CPU's? The answer unfortunately is no.

Current CPU's are multiplier locked, and they don't scale very high on bclock.

So one of this board strong point from it's predecessor is non existent here because of intel and there no unlocked xeon's in the future from what i can see.

:(

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]OMG i want to see some bechmarks with 4 GTX 680´s and dual xeons[/citation]
GTX 680s don't exist.

I'd like to see benchmarks with Quad Radeon HD 8970s but that's about as likely as Quad GTX 680s. :p

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ElMoIsEviL[/nom]GTX 680s don't exist.I'd like to see benchmarks with Quad Radeon HD 8970s but that's about as likely as Quad GTX 680s.[/citation]
umm... not quite dude. Well, I guess you'll find out on Monday.

[citation][nom]yumri[/nom]um if EVGA was going to build a extremeist's board why go with the E7 CPUs instead of the E5s?[/citation]

If i had to take a wild guess from intel web site, "c6xx" chipsets can only support the E5 Xeons.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/server-chipsets/server-chipset-c600.html

The E7 can only run with the Intel 7500 Chipset.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53568/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-2803--(18M-Cache-1_73-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI)#compatibility

(sometimes it pays to educate your self before speaking. ;) )

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Something tells me some idiot is going to buy this and use it for gaming purposes, despite the fact that very little games use more than four cores...

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Someone is going to use it for gaming, simply because they can. It's not about because it's designed for it.

You can make the same argument for having a full-size pickup truck as a daily driver. The purpose of a pickup truck is a work vehicle, but that doesn't stop people from buying them because they look and sound badass, and because they can.

If someone wants to dump the cash on it, by all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.