EVGA's iCX Technology Provides An Updated Approach To Temperature Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! $99 to step up to an iCX-equipped card? IF, and I stress IF here, EVGA sold faulty GPUs, seems to me the honorable thing to do here would be to allow those buyers to upgrade their cards for free. Or at least for a more reasonable fee. $99 seems a bit expensive to me.

dstarr3

Distinguished

The GPUs weren't defective, the cooler was only sometimes inadequate for some people's OCs if they happened to win the GPU lottery and also push that lucky GPU to its max.

It's also worth noting, the way it looks at the moment, SC SSC, FTW, etc cards are excluded from this stepup program. I've logged into my EVGA account, and my 1070 FTW card for example shows "No Step-Up Allowed." I'm going to call them Monday morning and see what's going on. Either way, my temps are are fine, in my case, over half the time my GPU fans aren't even on.

Ok EVGA's official stance apparently is only reference cards can "step-up", so those with factory overclocked cards, can't "step-up". So they aren't really trying to help those with the "cooling" issues, as I think they know most of those users probably would just pay the fee. All of those users are are stuck with the thermal pad fix.

Which admittedly works fine. However they should have left well enough alone, this will just leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Offer the program to everyone, or no one.

Currently, monitoring software detects only the GPU temperature, and we base our fan speeds on that.

FkOroVC.jpg

However, many owners of GTX 1070 and 1080 FTW cards experienced thermal issues; sure enough, we found that this stemmed from inadequate cooling around the VRMs and memory. EVGA promptly issued a BIOS update for the affected cards as well as free thermal pad kits.

VRM quality and cooling been an issue with the SC line since the 5xx series. If there's a good thing to come out of the 1070 / 1080 SC / FTW fiasco, it's that EVGA is finally paying attention.

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009

you sure?

i just stepped up my thermal pad fixed gtx 1080 gaming sc (6183) to an ICX sc2.

the only reason i did it was because i lost the silicon lottery on my replacement card. it wouldn't go past 1960mhz.

and also i fear my ACX 3.0 card will lose significant value over time.

the $99 did leave a sour taste in me tho, it was quite expensive considering i'm already down $650 for the 1080.

@NYCALEX thats what Im seeing over at EVGA. When I log into my EVGA account, where I have my cards registered my GTX 1070 FTW says NO STEP ALLOWED next to it for some reason?

I still plan on calling them anyways to find out whats going on. However on the EVGA forums MODs and support are indicating only reference cards?

pysc1984

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
original card P/N: 08G-P4-6286-KR

The system will not allow me to step up to P/N: 08G-P4-6686-KR which is the FTW2 card the redesign of the 6286 model. Any help would be much appreciated.

Its worth noting that i do have the option to "Step Up" but all the cards listed are lower tier compared to my original card.. I just want to switch my FTW to FTW2. don't want a time bomb 4 - 5 years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.