EVGA's Monstrous DG-87 Chassis May Actually Deserve 'VR-Ready' Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
So somebody finally made a case with my idea of placing fans at the rear of the case to pull hot graphics card air out of the case through the pci slots.
Finally someone listened.
Oh and in case you were wondering I started doing it with a pair of GTX 460s overclocked to 850 core. Lots oh heat produced with those.

It's a really nice case. It's too nice for me though. In my environment, I'd be compelled to clean the thing far too often. The amount of detail (and likely price) deserves to be meticulously cleaned and I'd just never be up to it.

This gives a very clean anesthetic, hiding the rear I/O entirely.

aesthetic

Lol

apazeus

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015
In my humble opinion, part of the reason the PC industry seems to be plateauing in terms of growth is because, over the past few years, hardware has become good enough that it can all handle the average user's needs without needing to be replaced for a long time. It's interesting to see a company like AMD focus so heavily on all-in-one chips. This segment has a legitimate shot to become THE segment within the no too distant future.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you're rich enough to have a dedicated game room and host VR parties, it would make sense to have a nice showcase system. like this. I'm thinking of the kind of people who build home theaters that are like miniature movie theaters.

I won't be buying one, if anyone cares. I like my cases unobtrusive, understated, and functional (not to mention reasonably priced). I don't even go for side windows.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the all new EVGA HERNIA gaming case. This case will surely live up to it's name when you attempt to lift it. :p
I've got one of those now, Corsair edition. I've had a 512GB ssd sitting around for months now that needs to be installed.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the all new EVGA HERNIA gaming case. This case will surely live up to it's name when you attempt to lift it. :p
I've got one of those now, Corsair edition. I've had a 512GB ssd sitting around for months now that needs to be installed.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I don't really see how this qualifies in way, shape or form as "VR ready". Also, I don't see what's unique about the design really, as any tower can be oriented along a wall with little to no effort required to use it. While somewhat aesthetically pleasing, this case is monstrous.

A better "VR Ready" case is something like the Silverstone Milo; it fits a full-sized card well enough, and with the right cooler can run a good CPU just fine, all in a tiny case. Drill holes in it and you can pop it on a VESA mount (with standoffs) and slap it on the wall or ceiling without much effort. The latter is ideal for VR as the headset cable and just hang downward, but you need to get power up there somehow

But yeah, small is going to be better when it comes to VR (and PCs in general IMO), giant cases not so much, no matter how you can orient them.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I have been looking at cases designed to be viewed from the large side window. What is the purpose of all that RGB lighting on every component if you cannot have a clear view of it. The symmetry is a nice touch as well.

happy001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The EVGA DG-8 line of full-tower cases on preorder http://www.evga.com/articles/01008/evga-dg-8-cases-coming-soon/

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

I guess having the name of a medication helps identifying these things and... not panicking about them, right? ;-)

Oh, absolutely, still, this particular error left me dazed and confused for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.