EVGA's New GTX 960 SSC Is Speedy With 4 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony8989

Distinguished
With more efficient memory cache the 128b bus width of Maxwell is leaps and bounds ahead of 128b bus widths from previous generations. Don't let numbers fool you, wait for the benchmarks.

4GB/128bit card. Just great...i would like it to see utilize all that memory.
nvidia has proven time after time copmpared to AMD, that the memory bus width doesnt always have a significant effect on overall performance, even at higher resolution. So long as the entire 4gb ram has access to the full speed of the bus that is... unlike the 970....

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Why is 2GB a gripe?? This is a 1080p card no matter which way you cut it, you don't need more memory. The 4 gigs is useless for gaming imo, you'll be pulling medium-low settings at best at 4K with this card. That 128 bit bus however, that's a problem if you're going to push above 1080p

First people complain when the card comes out that 2GB vRAM is not enough, and now they complain that 4GB is not needed only 2GB is needed because it's a 1080p card. Really? Don't become like Youtube commentors now.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I don't see a problem. This is most definitely a 1080p card, no doubt about that. But there are already games that use over 2GB of vRAM at 1080p, like Hitman Absolution, for instance. H:A needs nearer to 3GB for top settings. It's perfectly reasonable that many games in the near future will require up to 4GB for even 1080p. May as well start equipping them now.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Why is 2GB a gripe?? This is a 1080p card no matter which way you cut it, you don't need more memory. The 4 gigs is useless for gaming imo, you'll be pulling medium-low settings at best at 4K with this card. That 128 bit bus however, that's a problem if you're going to push above 1080p

Because there are games where if you set all the settings to max (maybe even less) it will use 3GB+ even on 1080P. Now even with 4GB with a 128bit bus we don't know if the GPU will be able to utilize all the VRAM efficiently. But can't say much until it's tested out after release.

If they did end up splitting the memory on this card, that would be another PR disaster for Nvidia.

That said, there are a number of games that already use more than 2gb at 1080p - some upwards of 3gb. With the coming year or so, that is going to be more of the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if 4gb becomes the new minimum in a short amount of time.

the only problem then is performance cost vs a gtx 970 or 290x........
and the fact that a single card will always work as intended where dual cards dont always/.

english_joshua

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
I'm glad the 4GB version of the 960 is inbound, but what i really really really wanted to see was a 1280 core 192 Bus 3GB 960ti(aka gtx970m for desktop). To me that would be the absolute perfect 1080p card.

Creme

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
I read that my former 7770 couldn't use its 2GB VRAM and it did, Bioshock Infinite in particular used 1.8GB. The question is: is the price difference worth it?

I think this card is more for SLI than anything else, and it seems like a nice proposition, basically a GTX 975 with real 4GB. On its own it's finally able to compete with the R9 280/7950.

bens1

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Please stop calling it a "Frame buffer" its not a framebuffer. A framebuffer is the part of the memory in which a frame is constructed (Back buffer) or displayed (Front buffer), and used only a small amount of the cards memory (Typically 8Mb for 1080p 32bpp).

The rest of the memory is used for textures, vertex data, constant buffers, code etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS