News EVGA's RTX 3090 Ti K|NGP|N Allegedly Packs Two 12-Pin Power Connectors

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The maximum rated current for just a single 12-pin and 16-pin is 650W, and doubling it up means you can feed 1,200W of potential power to the GPU.

So . . single 12-pin = 650W.
PCIe slot = 75W.

They're expecting that 725W is going to be insufficient to power this card?

Apr 1, 2020
Pull your jaw back up, it's likely not as bad as you think.

The EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 KINGPIN has a 525w TDP, and the 12 pin connector can deliver 600w. Considering the rumored enhancements in the 3090Ti, they will have to include a second power connector in order to give headroom, as well as prevent undue stress on the PCIe slot power delivery system, something AMD got into hot water over.

The PCIe 5.0 standard power connector is a 12 pin, 600w, and going dual standard 12 pins not only do they stay with the new specification vs mixing in an older 8 or 4 pin, it also allows the power delivery to be balanced between the two connectors, keeping the stress on each low as well as preventing any potential overheating situations.

Chargino

Commendable
Dec 24, 2019
I've been on the EVGA waiting list for a 3090 hydro copper since the first day you were allowed to sign up. So this is another card you can't buy? What is the point of these paper announcements?

Reactions: thisisaname

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Who cares... Wait for Lovelace to see the power draw craziness even higher.

The world is going mad, this is just one small sector of it's madness... extreme power consumption for extremely expensive halo products that are not worth their price, bought by people with more money than sense.

So who cares about this... I don't, I never will. I will never buy it, I would not even keep it if it was given to me for free, I would just sell it to fools... so let the fools buy them.

As always I'll buy the mid tier GPUs up to 250w and not give a flying F about these aberrations. Or GPUs above $700, which are in the same bracket of aberrations.

When there won't be any 250w and less than $700 GPUs, I'll quit, because it will be an insane asylum. At that point that's whats going to be, if or when it ever gets there.

The same goes for CPUs with 125w or more stupid power consumption. I have central heating in my home, I don't need my PC to be a 2nd one. I also like it to be cool and as whisper quiet as possible, not have an expensive cooling system as intricate as a NASA space shuttle. Not to mention 1000w PSU...

Reactions: eichwana

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It seems like the 3090 Ti is doing what the Vega cards did... push well into the "diminishing returns" area of power consumption in pursuit of more performance.

Or, maybe just this particular 3090 Ti.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
lol, Who cares?, Its not like you can buy it anyways, even if it was available.

And please, 12pin x 2 cables, Does it cook you food too, while attempting to break oc records?
Do you go to car forums and complain about fuel mileage in top speed record threads? What is with the idiocy here? 1080Ti's pull well over 1000W on liquid nitrogen, that's just how these overclocks work. World record clock speeds are not about efficiency. K|NGP|N cards are built for a very specific use case, which isn't gaming. Production counts are in the hundreds, so even in a normal market you'd have a tough time finding one of these, and almost nothing about this card has any relevance to all other models developed for gaming.

Do you go to car forums and complain about fuel mileage in top speed record threads? What is with the idiocy here? 1080Ti's pull well over 1000W on liquid nitrogen, that's just how these overclocks work. World record clock speeds are not about efficiency. K|NGP|N cards are built for a very specific use case, which isn't gaming. Production counts are in the hundreds, so even in a normal market you'd have a tough time finding one of these, and almost nothing about this card has any relevance to all other models developed for gaming.

First, this is not a top speed / oc record thread, this is a news thread. And rest assure I know who Vince Lucido and what he does for a living.
Second, since Im between the rules of the forum (far as I know), I can complain about whatever I want, if you don't like it or don't agree too bad for you.
Third, If you can't see behind my post, and take it literally, perhaps you are the one making stupid posts.