EVGA's Step Up Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Is it worth it for a person to go from say, a GTX 470 to a GTX 480? The cost difference is a little hefty through their website, but I'm interested in going with the bigger single GPU. I want more rendering power, shaders, the memory interface, etc. I haven't even taken my GTX 470 out of the box yet and I already regret it.

In the EVGA forums, there are nothing but ridiculously biased fanboy posts about the subject, so I thought I'd ask here. Has anyone done it?

Thanks!

Solution
Maybe there just trying to justify there purchase to themselves, Look at the facts not the fanboy's, The GTX470 is much, much better value for money than a GTX480, I'm sure you could overclock your GTX470 to GTX480 speeds.... Then spend the saved money on something else.

Timop

Distinguished
No, regardless of Step-up or not, upgrading from a GTX470 to a 480 isn't worth it, the performance increase isnt groundbreaking, and the 470 a much a better value compared to the 480, as you can always OC.

But if moneys no problem, feel free to go with 2 or 3 GTX480s.

Though if you can still return the 470 and have a SLI-capable Mobo, 2GTX460s is a nice performance jump for only $100.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Because it was after I ordered that I hopped on over to NVidia, EVGA, Overclockers.net, etc., only to see 100% of the people with a 470 wishing they had a 480, and all of the people with a 480 swooning over what they had. Those who made the switch were practically orgasmic.

Maybe there just trying to justify there purchase to themselves, Look at the facts not the fanboy's, The GTX470 is much, much better value for money than a GTX480, I'm sure you could overclock your GTX470 to GTX480 speeds.... Then spend the saved money on something else.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.