Evo 850 SSD with a WD black 3tb performance hdd for storage

taylorbu

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I want to use an Evo 850 SSD with a WD black 3tb performance hdd for storage. coupled with an i74790k and 16gb 2133 ddr3 gskil is the hdd a good choice or is it overkill?

Solution
That's not really overkill for anything. If anything you could go bigger (not size wise but with storage performance). Personally I don't bother with the WD blacks as they're overrated. They're not even the fastest HDDs out there. I use Toshibas across the board as they're much cheaper and just as reliable in the end. You can look in to RAID options on your mobo (assuming you're using a RAID capable mobo).

If you're building brand new I'd stick with Z170 though, which opens up even more capabilities and expandability.

ThatAfricanDude

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
well, for gaming, it is a little bit, it is a good combination though, 3tb WD black is pricey, ill personally rather invest in two smaller drives in a cloned raid configuration for if one fails your data (games) are still saved on the other. Overall, if you have the money, I dont see why not? ;)

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
That's not really overkill for anything. If anything you could go bigger (not size wise but with storage performance). Personally I don't bother with the WD blacks as they're overrated. They're not even the fastest HDDs out there. I use Toshibas across the board as they're much cheaper and just as reliable in the end. You can look in to RAID options on your mobo (assuming you're using a RAID capable mobo).

If you're building brand new I'd stick with Z170 though, which opens up even more capabilities and expandability.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS