Evo 970 ... Magician recognition issues and seemingly slow speeds?

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping somebody has had experience with Samsung Magician and also the new NVMe SSDs and will be able to assist.

First, the problems

1 - The drive works and shows up in Magician, but it does not recognize it as genuine.
2 - Magician image is showing a picture of a Sata SSD instead of the NVMe SSD.
3 - Running performance tests appears to show it running slower than what I've seen posted elsewhere.

Helpful Info

> I cloned my old Sata Samsung SSD.
> The cloning was successful and I'm running my pc on the new 970.
> The latest NVMe driver from Samsung is installed.
> I have the latest bios update from Asus installed ( Oct 2018 ).
> My mobo is the ROG Asus Hero Maximus X (wifi).
> I've confirmed that AHCI is enabled in the bios and also in Windows 10.
> My Magician is updated to the latest version.
> The NVMe drive is installed directly onto my mobo in the dedicated slot.

Re/ Not Genuine

I previously had this same issue with Magician not recognizing a new Samsung Sata SSD as genuine when I installed it, but easily fixed the issue by activating it in disk management at the time. This time, I simply cloned onto the new drive without formatting it or checking Magician first, so now I'm not sure I can do anything to the drive now that it is acting as my active C:/. This drive was bought via Amazon through a reputable seller with no complaints or issues listed.

Re/ Wrong picture

When I view the drive on Magician, it shows a picture of a Sata SSD instead of a NVMe SSD. Originally I thought Magician may just not have updated images, but when I look online, everyone's image or video correctly shows their Magician with an image of a NVMe SSD. This makes me think Magician incorrectly thinks this is a Sata SSD.
oVJyZ0z.png

Re/ Performance

My performance numbers from Magician show sequential 1,778 read / 1,728 write ... and ... Random 308,270 read / 103,981 write. This isn't terrible, but also seems to be about half the speed that other people get with the same SSD. I'm not sure if this is possibly tied to Magician thinking this is a Sata SSD.
lTahnAJ.png

If anyone has come across this type of issue and can offer some advice, it would be appreciated. Many thanks,

Phil.

Solution
Solved my own final problem and will post the solution here in case anyone else has a similar issue ( ie. are plebs like myself ).

I went back into bios to ensure that I wasn't missing something, and found the option to swap my M.2_2 to x4 instead of x2. I have no idea why it would be set to x2 by default, but it was. The option was found in Advanced settings > Onboard Devices > Bandwidth for M.2_2 > Change to x4.

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Unfortunately, I reformatted my original C drive after the successful clone.
So it is no longer available.

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
2 issues were fixed. 1 remains.

My Magician was not the latest version, despite saying that it was the latest version in the information window. An update from 5.0 to 5.2 fixed the image recognition problem and also the problem with not thinking the drive was genuine.

The problem that remains which RGB pointed out, is that it is still showing 3 x 2 instead of 3 x 4 ... and I cannot figure out why this is happening.

Any additional thoughts on what to look at?

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Solved my own final problem and will post the solution here in case anyone else has a similar issue ( ie. are plebs like myself ).

I went back into bios to ensure that I wasn't missing something, and found the option to swap my M.2_2 to x4 instead of x2. I have no idea why it would be set to x2 by default, but it was. The option was found in Advanced settings > Onboard Devices > Bandwidth for M.2_2 > Change to x4.

Solution