EX58-UD5 Changing RAID0 to Normal

shill66

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I have an EX58-UD5 with all my SATA ports used - a lotta drives - and I've had no problems with it running Windows XP, for over a year.

I set up a dual boot so I could use Windows 7. When I boot into 7, Windows can't find two of the drives. Switch back to XP and no problems.

I eventually figured out that the two drives not appearing in 7 are (mistakenly) set to RAID0 in the BIOS. Okay so far...

The answer to getting the drives to appear seems to be to switch them from RAID0 to "NORMAL (Port Multiplier)" in the BIOS. Even though they're not actually doing RAID the way they are. Okay so far, still...

A warning pops up, if I make the setting change, I will lose the data on the drive. Okay, gotcha. But...unclear...

In those settings, the drives are paired up with two other drives (that have no problems, show up fine in both XP and 7). If I make this change, will I lose data ONLY on the two drives that aren't showing up in 7, or will I lose data on ALL FOUR drives that are associated with those two RAID ports?

Any instructions, tips, advice, or experiences would be greatly appreciated! :)

I have seen and heard nothing but major problems and headaches with trying to dual boot XP and Win7. Win7 & Vista works but 7 & XP are not compatable. This is what I have found and read about. Maybe someone here has a solution. I sure would like to know my self!

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

Hmm, you've got a lot of problems with that setup. First, I would copy/back-up all of the 'important & needed' data off the RAID 0; it's at risk. Never place non-backed-up and important data on RAID 0 EVER. Next, since you have multiple HDDs I would dedicate 1 HDD for XP and 1 HDD for Windows 7. 'Booting' - I would use 'BIOS Profiles' e.g. "Windows 7" and "Windows XP" where the HDD Booting Priorities are set to the Corresponding Profile -> SATA_Port/HDD.

Example:
Profile Windows 7 {DVD, SATA2_0, etc}; where SATA2_0 has Windows 7
Profile Windows XP {DVD, SATA2_1, etc}; where SATA2_1 has Windows XP

In my example you will have to start from scratch for the Windows 7. Dual Booting XP + 7 can be done via partitions; since I don't recommend it -- Google the How To. To me it is REALLY BAD to use Dual Boot via Windows with 2 separate HDDs EVER - makes no sense to have one HDD fully dependent upon another. Also, I don't recommend mixing 32 & 64-bit OS as Dual Boot.

Next, once the RAID is broken - yep bye-bye Windows on the RAID and everything else; 1/2 Data = 0 Data.

When Installing, short of a Dual Booting partition approach, pull ANY other Windows OS HDD(s), Format, and Install Clean.

shill66

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

My first question, regarding your reply: With a dual boot setup on two separate HDDs, how is one dependent on the other?

(I never thought about using BIOS profiles. I might look into that.)

Now...I'm not sure I understand about losing the data once the RAID is broken, at least I don't understand it in my present situation. Apparently I have two RAID0s, which I never knew until this problem came up. They don't appear to act like RAID0s, though. In XP, the four disks involved all report individually with their proper physical capacities. If they were actually working as RAID0, wouldn't they only report as two drives, with combined capacity?

In Win7 (which is presently a new 32 bit clean install on a new and separate SSD) only the first disk in each pair shows up, but I believe they show up with their proper physical capacity...though maybe not and I didn't notice - maybe they are actually showing up with the combined capacity of both drives in the pair. I'll check that when I'm home. And if so, what a mess! :(

'Parts' of the Windows files get installed on the 'older Installed' Windows, what they all are I don't know; the end result is a Dependency to the old HDD. If you installed Windows with another Windows already installed -- try pulling the 'older Windows' HDD and see for yourself.

If you pull one of the RAID 0 HDDs, and it 'really is' RAID 0 then poof nothing will happen. If it boots then it's NOT RAID 0 with 1 of the 2 HDDs. Statement "only the first disk in each pair shows up" suggests RAID. Boot and use Ctrl + I {Intel} or Ctrl + M {Marvell}; keep hitting the 'I' or 'M' while holding the Ctrl. I cannot imagine you not knowing if your RAID is set-up; it's a very deliberate procedure.

I use RAID, and 1/10/5/etc are fine for Data and ditto for non-RAID; whereas RAID 0 is ONLY good of OS and Apps which can be EASILY replaced.

Assuming verification of RAID 0 via Apps {e.g Intel Rapid Storage Technology} or Ctrl + I/M/etc then do as I recommended above.

IntelCapture.PNG

shill66

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I tried installing that Intel Rapid Storage Technology software, but it says my computer does not meet the minimum requirements to run it (in both XP and Win 7).

Also, Windows 7 reports the actual physical capacities of all the drives, nothing looks like it's cumulative over more than one drive.

Hmm?! If this is your MOBO GA-EX58-UD5 http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2958#sp it has both the Intel X58 + ICH10R chipsets. Are you using the Smart Backup Utility? It 'should' run Intel RST?!

Since I don't know 'what OS' is installed on 'what ports' it's impossible to guess; as I mentioned above you can review the onboard RAID via Intel: Ctrl + I or JMG322: BIOS -> Smart Backup. See pages 92~98.

RAID possibilities:
ICH10R {SATA2_0~SATA2_3} RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
JMB322 {GSATA2_0~GSATA2_1} OR {GSATA2_2~GSATA2_3} RAID 0, RAID 1

My best suggestion since it 'seems' you didn't set this up is to contact the company/person that did set it up. It 'seems' like a rats nest, and it's impossible to 'fix' this within a 'Forum' unless you're 100% clear what's set up and how it's set up.

shill66

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I built the computer myself. Yes, that's the mobo. No, I don't use the Smart Backup Utility.

Essentially, I started connecting drives to the SATA ports from the "bottom" up, which should mean that I used the GSATA ports first. I will open up and confirm which drives are on which ports soon.

As far as I can remember, I never made any setting changes to the SATA ports in BIOS, and I don't think I would have set anything for RAID 0 since I have no interest in RAID 0. I only ever wanted individual drives. Which leads me to believe that things were already set to RAID 0 by default (but I certainly could be wrong). Since things worked as I expected them to in XP, I never suspected anything wrong.