Question Examples for a chip which controls AV Receiver volume by looking if door is open/closed

Florian99

Reputable
Dec 26, 2016
So could anyone who has a little time think about a solution for that? Main thing is: My door keeps most of the music in my flat so the others dont get annoyed. I thought about a senser at the door which knows if the door is opened or closed. For example if it opens the Music should turn down. I thought about a IR-blaster which mimics the frequency of the remote "MUTE" button or even better puts it just on a lower volume. If the door is closed then it should do the same thing again to play everything at normal volume. I have this idea but sadly dont know how to realize it or which parts i would need.

Let's see...
  • A door alarm switch as Nigel said to detect the door condition.
  • A Raspberry Pi to read the door switch and drive an IR LED

The Pi has built in IO ports, so reading the switch is super easy.
I see circuits to drive an IR LED for the Pi all over, so easy too.
The programming shouldn't be bad.

The Pi could also talk to the receiver over the LAN and send it a volume up/down command if the receiver has network connectivity and a control API (both of mine, a Pioneer and a Onkyo do).

Florian99

Reputable
Dec 26, 2016
Let's see...
  • A door alarm switch as Nigel said to detect the door condition.
  • A Raspberry Pi to read the door switch and drive an IR LED
The Pi has built in IO ports, so reading the switch is super easy.
I see circuits to drive an IR LED for the Pi all over, so easy too.
The programming shouldn't be bad.

The Pi could also talk to the receiver over the LAN and send it a volume up/down command if the receiver has network connectivity and a control API (both of mine, a Pioneer and a Onkyo do).
Thanks for your reply.
Soo this seems great. What Raspberry Pi am I supposed top get? Is the Pi Zero enough or a full Pi of every generation?
An IR LED should be pretty easy to find.
When everything ist together i'll just tinker around till it works.
I dont know if my Receiver can be controlled over Network or another API. It ist pretty old by todays standards. Its the Yamaha RX-v 663

Thanks for your reply.
Soo this seems great. What Raspberry Pi am I supposed top get? Is the Pi Zero enough or a full Pi of every generation?
An IR LED should be pretty easy to find.
When everything ist together i'll just tinker around till it works.
I dont know if my Receiver can be controlled over Network or another API. It ist pretty old by todays standards. Its the Yamaha RX-v 663
I think all of them have the same IO header, so it doesn't matter - it isn't like the application requires any CPU horsepower.

Yeah, that receiver doesn't have any network connectivity at all. IR it is.