Exaust and Intake fans on the same radiator?

jakeh813

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
I am planning on doing a small form factor build in the core 500. I am using a kraken x61 cooler and wanted to know if using 1 exhaust and 1 intake fan on the same radiator would hurt overall performance.

Solution

Confusing, I wonder how you manage to fit 280 mm radiator in SFF, maybe hard mod? The very same radiator will not be a good exhaust and inhale at the same time, you can prove your self by setting one 140 mm fan as push and the other on as pull. I played with thermaltake water 3.0 ultimate.

• ■ Push, three fans pushing air through radiator (intake or exhaust)
    ■ Pull, three fans pulling air through radiator (intake or exhaust)
    ■ push-push, six fans pushing air through radiator , tried this, no good.
    ■ pull-pull, six fans pulling...

Mikel_4

Respectable
Oct 15, 2016

Confusing, I wonder how you manage to fit 280 mm radiator in SFF, maybe hard mod? The very same radiator will not be a good exhaust and inhale at the same time, you can prove your self by setting one 140 mm fan as push and the other on as pull. I played with thermaltake water 3.0 ultimate.

• ■ Push, three fans pushing air through radiator (intake or exhaust)
    ■ Pull, three fans pulling air through radiator (intake or exhaust)
    ■ push-push, six fans pushing air through radiator , tried this, no good.
    ■ pull-pull, six fans pulling air through radiator , tried this, no good.
    ■ push-pull, three fans pushing air through radiator + three fans pulling air through radiator (intake or exhaust)
Push pull as intake, the idea is to get cooler air from cool room temperature (5 to 10 C) , usually front panel mounting.
Push pull as exhaust, use this if your room temperature is above 20 C, also must be additional bottom or front intake fan and mounted top side.

The theory
blown air delta temperature sustain temperature around 12 to 25 C depend on fan's size and RPM speed, when contacted to hotter radiator radiator's core (copper tube and aluminum fins) the cool air will absorb aluminum's warm temperature >< warm coolant will absorb cold aluminum's temperature.

The heat coefficient calculator
you can estimate your water cooling performance base on online converters for metal material used, as for internal case, consider this, for every temperature rise will make sucked air by radiator fans become warmer, thus decrease radiator cooling ability.

Solution