[SOLVED] Excel 1997-2003 (not responding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson10304

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Hello Community

I'm using a version of microsoft excel (1997-2003) and have been for a few years now running windows 8.1 OS.

Today I opened up a spreadsheet I use to update my monthly expenses, it appears when I update the formatting on my spreadsheet it says (not responding) I leave it for a minute or so to see if it carries out the formatting its appears not.

I then shutdown the application using task manager and have done so at least three times this morning, my hunch is the version may no longer run with windows 8.1.

I just made another attempt on my spreadsheet. I have noticed when I use the (colour themes and standard themes) to change the colour of the font this is where excel just idles and the problem arises, I then have too restart my computer rather that the application itself.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I can’t remember what options are available in that old version but I have seen similar and the following worked.

1. Open the file.
  2. Save a copy of the file using a different Excel file format. Normally I’d say use the old 97-2003 format but that’s the one you are most likely using already.
  3. Close the copy and then open it again, this step is needed. Now save again as the file format you normally work with.

This has worked for me in the past. If you use an older file format that does not support some of the formatting or functions you have used it will loose them but at this point your file is already corrupted and you are only manipulating a copy.
Likely internal corruption in the spreadsheet. This happens when a spreadsheet is used for a prolonged period of time with copious amounts of editing. Copy/paste the contents of the sheet into a new one. You'll find that the new sheet is much smaller and far less likely to err with all of the accumulated crud removed.

Anderson10304

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
24mb Excel file was quite a feat back in 1997... Time to upgrade, I'd say - either paid MS Office, of one of free alternatives.

Thanks very much for your reply, I do agree and had a hunch this is why the application may not be working as it should when formatting to say the least.

Free alternatives do tell.

Many Thanks

I can’t remember what options are available in that old version but I have seen similar and the following worked.

1. Open the file.
  2. Save a copy of the file using a different Excel file format. Normally I’d say use the old 97-2003 format but that’s the one you are most likely using already.
  3. Close the copy and then open it again, this step is needed. Now save again as the file format you normally work with.

This has worked for me in the past. If you use an older file format that does not support some of the formatting or functions you have used it will loose them but at this point your file is already corrupted and you are only manipulating a copy.

Reactions: Anderson10304
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.