Question Excel 32 bit in x64 bit OS

Jul 6, 2020
Hi,
I'm using Microsoft office 2010 x32 bit software in x64 bit windows 10 OS.
Excel takes upto 27% space in CPU for 3 workbooks. And the system hangs really hard & can't open other excel sheets says "can't open new sheet - freeup/close other sheets".
Whether this leads to any hardware architecture/ processor/ RAM problem - either physically nor as program? it makes me scare to run it daily........
If I need to use only x64 bit software, Then give me a link to download a secure, virus free package of microsoft office x64 bit.
Kindly gimme a solution to solve this problem ASAP
thanks in advance

rgd1101

Don't
cpu usage is a % not mb. so it taking 2G ram.
they do take a lot of ram. and you have 3 10mb.
try open a new excel instance then open the file.

data theft, if you worry, stop downloading "free" stuff from non official website.

LibreOffice is open source. it is as safe as office

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020
cpu usage is a % not mb. so it taking 2G ram.
they do take a lot of ram. and you have 3 10mb.
try open a new excel instance then open the file.

data theft, if you worry, stop downloading "free" stuff from non official website.
sorry cpu usage is 27% as i told in first post
ram usage more than 1950MB
u forgot to answer my x32 bit question mentioned in 1st post.......up
kindly chk it

You most probably have another problem. I'm running Office 2007 on 64-bit Windows 10, and don't have any troubles with two or three 10-15mb workbooks. And even these days, Office 365 by default installs as 32-bit app, so definitely this is not your issue.

Do you have any macroses running inside these workbooks?

I just Googled and 32bit Excel is limited to 2GB RAM and you are hitting that. My experience is of 64 bit Excel but that can suffer hangs and crashing when you run out of RAM or even before. Performance also falls off a cliff long before you hit your RAM limit. The size of the Excel file is irrelevant, I have files that are <50mb size but when calculating take several GB’s of RAM.

Jul 6, 2020
You most probably have another problem. I'm running Office 2007 on 64-bit Windows 10, and don't have any troubles with two or three 10-15mb workbooks. And even these days, Office 365 by default installs as 32-bit app, so definitely this is not your issue.

Do you have any macroses running inside these workbooks?
Ya, I've.......

Jul 6, 2020
You can run a 32 bit software on a 64 bit OS. You can't do the opposite.

Windows in particular has built in an emulation subsystem for that, called Windows32 on Windows64, or WoW64.
@Alabalcho

But it eats more RAM space.....
often shows " not responding"....So I thought that, it was due to the OS architecture.....
why the excel becomes " not responding"?
I'm using many formulas, calculations, conditions in a workbook (5 to 12 mb), I'll use more than 3 to 5 workbooks like this simultaneously....

@Ralston18

PC specs:
win -10 x64 bit
ryzen 3200g
16 gb RAM
250gb ssb nvme
1 tb hdd