Excel autofill problem

speaker4thedead

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Unsure if this is the best place to ask this...

While using Excel sometimes the cell i'm typing in will be filled with 'old info' as i type.

For example there are old files in excel that use the sentence 'Cat fell out of tree'. When i type the word Cat in and then hit space in my new excel spreadsheet, the 'fell out of tree' is automatically put in. Like hitting the space bar added it in (and it's not the normal autofill that is causing the problem)

Solution
that's just what it does, you need to do cat, space, it'll show the auto complete and then either complete what you want, or do a backspace.

once you have two things starting with cat the problem goes away.

USAFRet

Titan

AutoComplete
You can turn that off if you wish.

File tab
Options
Advanced
Uncheck 'Enable AutoComplete for cell values'

speaker4thedead

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Not quit the issue i'm having. It's trying to copy from a previous line, it's copying from a previous spreadsheet entirely.

speaker4thedead

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I did that, it's not the normal autocomplete that is adding the words. As another example, i made an excel and typed in CAT ON WINDOW. I saved that, a week moved on, i open up a new sheet and type in CAT. As soon as i hit the space after CAT the ON WINDOW automatically fills out the rest of the cell. Not a suggestion highlighted in black like the normal autocomplete, but the actual words are added in by just hitting the space bar.

USAFRet

Titan

On a whole new workbook, a week later? I've never, ever seen that.

speaker4thedead

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Yep, it's the damnedest thing. New job and i transferred a lot of my old excel sheets/files to my new computer. I was altering an old Excel sheet so that it's relevant to my new job, typed in CAT (not really CAT but for the sake of this...) and the box automatically filled up (not a suggestion of a fill, but a fill as if i literally typed out the rest of the sentence) with some nonsense that i can only assume came from some other Excel sheet already in the computer.

Every time i type in the word CAT, the rest of the box fills up as soon as i hit the space bar. So far it's only happened with the one word, but i want to kill this thing before it gains legs, you know? Monday morning i'm going to take a video of it happening i think... think seeing it like that would help any?

speaker4thedead

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Not sure offhand, but i want to say... 2013, though it might be 2010. Also please see my above reply to UASFRet if you are still interested in this crazy problem, lol.

Be careful videoing it, done employers will sack you for that.

TRENDING THREADS