excel-illeagle operation

brian14

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
Hi,
I realize this is a little generic of a question, but...
I am volunteering at a library and came across this problem.
While on the one PC, if you are using Excel (quite often) and remove a zip disk, it will shut off excel (without saveing of course)
and give a illeagle opperation window, with the excel icon at the top-indicating that excel is the culprit I guess.
If I remember correctly, you get a illeagle operation when two programs are trying for the same resourse?
I know that is not much info to go on.

I am hopeing someone has an idea for me to try.
I could be a hero here with a little help from my friends...
thanks in advance

peace be with you

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
OMG! The eagle is ill!!!!!!!!! lol jk you miss-spelt that. I would reccomend a re-format of the hard drive along with a clean install o' windows.

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!

brian14

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
Are you retired by any chance? For you must have much more time then I do. Though I guess I could spend more of it learning to spewll.

peace be with you

Assuming you're talking about the Librarys computer you're trying to get this information from, do you have supervisory clearance to change the file status from Read Only, OOPS did I say that? Hows my grammar PapaSmurf?

You never know what you can do until you try.

The 'illegal operation' is most likely a conflict or a corrupt file.

One thing you can do is...do all your saving of Excel files to the hard drive, and then when you quit Excel, you copy them to ZIP, if necessary.

If this method doesn't work, I'd suggest a re-installation of the operating system and/or Excel.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Im just goofing guys I misspell many a thing it was just the notion of a sick eagle that arroused me errr my sence of humor.

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!