Question Excel Shared Workbook Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddystabz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I work for a company that is way out of touch with technology and are using Excel 2016. We share a lot of spreadsheets on a shared drive and we have to set each workbook as a shared workbook in the Review tab. However, I've created a new spreadsheet we will use to track cases on from home on the newest version of Excel, and when I go to the Review area of the ribbon, there is no option to share the workbook. I only have "Protect Sheet," "Protect Workbook," "Allow Edit Ranges." "Unshare Workbook" is listed but is grayed out. I heard online that Microsoft no longer supports shared workbooks and expects everything to be shared now via One Drive but my office doesn't use any kind of cloud storage and does not use One Drive, so making the spreadsheet a shared workbook is my only option.

I also wondered if it could be because of some of the elements I had in the spreadsheet, so I converted all the tables to ranges, I've experimented with removing the tables refresh macro I added, and I've experimented with removing the pivot tables to no avail. Nothing seems to make the shared workbook option show up on the ribbon.

Can anyone help me possibly me this a shared workbook, please?

I have hosted the file here for you guys to check out: JonCases2

daddystabz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I already tried adding the option to my ribbon and it is grayed out. I have no idea why it automatically defaults to being grayed out. Is it because I created the spreadsheet in the newest version of Excel, so it automatically will not allow me to use a shared workbook? MS gives instructions on how to add the shared workbook function icon to your Quick Access Toolbar in case you still need it, which I did, but it is grayed out.

daddystabz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I tried to begin building the sheet with some of the basic functionality in my company's old Excel 2016, and initially got the following error:

"This workbook cannot be shared because it contains Excel tables or XML maps. To share this workbook, convert the tables to ranges and remove the XML maps."

If you look at my spreadsheet file, I converted all the tables where the data is input to ranges and the only other thing I am usinmmg currently is that I added the Form icon to the Quick Access Toolbar so that you can click on Form and input data into the table that way, which is more convenient than side scrolling to add info manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.