excellent program

Goran

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
Download it and you'll see.
Hey, that rhymes.
;o)

http://earth.google.com

--
The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential and
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). If you

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Goran wrote:
> A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
> Download it and you'll see.
> Hey, that rhymes.
> ;o)
>
> http://earth.google.com

Our house is shown and it was built in 2000. Our neighbors was built in
2002 and is there also. Our swimming pool was put in in 2003 and it
isn't there. So the photos are a couple years old. But it's a trip to
zoom in on my house. :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Goran wrote:

> A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
> Download it and you'll see.
> Hey, that rhymes.
> ;o)
>
> http://earth.google.com

I typed in my sisters address in West Virginia, clicked "Fly To" and it
did. What a trip.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Goran <G-Man> wrote:

> A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
> Download it and you'll see.
> Hey, that rhymes.

I had seen this mentioned in the aviation newsgroup but as of last week
Google had temporarily taken down the link, presumably due to the
overwhelming response to the program.

After seeing your post, I decided to take a break from work and d/l it.
Absolutely incredible. In a way, it seems to use a similar technology as
FS2004.

--
Peter

dude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I have been playing around with this for a little while now and
just for fun lase week I was checking out the Eiffel Towen, Roman
Colosseum, Mount Vesuvius, Etc.

Nice Piece of Work

Chris

boB wrote:
> Goran wrote:
>
>> A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's
>> free. Download it and you'll see.
>> Hey, that rhymes.
>> ;o)
>>
>> http://earth.google.com
>>

> I typed in my sisters address in West Virginia, clicked "Fly To" and
> it did. What a trip.

It looks excellent so far, but I have not found any detailed sattelite
photos yet? Am I expecting too much from the free version? The maps are
great!

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk

boB <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote:

> I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn near,
> I wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>
> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs37&d=05283&f=earth.jpg

boB, you are too funny!

Put the coffee on; I am coming over. :)

--
Peter

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Quilljar wrote:

> boB wrote:
>
>>Goran wrote:
>>

>>>A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's
>>>free. Download it and you'll see.
>>>Hey, that rhymes.
>>>;o)
>>>
>>>http://earth.google.com
>>>

>>I typed in my sisters address in West Virginia, clicked "Fly To" and
>>it did. What a trip.
>

> It looks excellent so far, but I have not found any detailed sattelite
> photos yet? Am I expecting too much from the free version? The maps are
> great!

When I moved to my sisters house it zoomed in right where it should but
the level of detail there, in the middle of the town, was terrible. I
guess me living in the country helped. Not many houses. But you can see
my driveway and even the fence around the dog run.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for posting that Q. I can now zoom in on our NVG training area
just south of Stuttgart. Reminds me of the old days. :(
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Goran,
I agree, this is a terrific program. I have been using this program for
about 6-8 months (it used to be called Keyhole-before Google bought them).
Actually, its a really nice addition to any kind of flight sim that a person
has. I use it to fly cross country, or to check out approaches to airports.
It also helps me as a RL pilot, in that I can check out x-country routes,
terrain, and airport layouts while planning a flight. And besides, it is
just darn fun!
I also spend a lot of time just zooming over the Earth, looking at
things. I have visited Area 51, Edwards AirForce base, the "boneyard" at
Mothan-Davis AFB, Scaled Composites at Mojave airport, Mount Everest, Niagar
falls, etc, etc, etc. And of course I have to find the house of every person
that I know. It costs about $30 you subscribe for a year, but for me it is
worth it just for the entertainment factor. Take care....

Randy L.
"Goran" <G-Man> wrote in message news:42d495de$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
>Download it and you'll see.
> Hey, that rhymes.
> ;o)
>
> http://earth.google.com
>
> --
> The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential
> and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
> If you are not the addressee(s) you are not authorised to and must not
> disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without my authority.

crash

boB wrote:
> I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn
> near, I wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.

I tried Google, but TerraServer still rules for civilian up close &
personal!
http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/CRaSH%20site/?action=view&current=crash1.jpg&slideshow=paused&interval=5

Hit RESUME to start the slide show - or click on "back to photobucket album"
to select the shots manually at FULL size (more better :)....

Google's probably covers more territory, haven't played with it world wide
yet.....

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

Crash,
Terra Server isn't bad, it's free, and it does cover a broader area than
Google Earth does. But I love the things that Google Earth does, such as
allow you to pan, rotate, and tilt the point of view. GE also wraps the
satellite textures around elevation data to give you a 3D perspective of the
area. I love using Google Earth to zoom into the Grand Canyon, then tilting
the POV, and "fly" through the canyon.

Randy L.

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> boB wrote:
>> I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn
>> near, I wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>>

> I tried Google, but TerraServer still rules for civilian up close &
> personal!
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/CRaSH%20site/?action=view&current=crash1.jpg&slideshow=paused&interval=5
>
> Hit RESUME to start the slide show - or click on "back to photobucket
> album"
> to select the shots manually at FULL size (more better :)....
>
> Google's probably covers more territory, haven't played with it world wide
> yet.....
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I found my house

that is so cool

"boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
> Goran wrote:
>> A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
>> Download it and you'll see.
>> Hey, that rhymes.
>> ;o)
>>
>> http://earth.google.com
>>

> Our house is shown and it was built in 2000. Our neighbors was built in
> 2002 and is there also. Our swimming pool was put in in 2003 and it isn't
> there. So the photos are a couple years old. But it's a trip to zoom in
> on my house. :)
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

I found my daughters house in Surfers Australia but my area in New Zealand
hasn't been covered and looks worse than a street directory

Butts

>I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn near, I
>wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>
> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs37&d=05283&f=earth.jpg
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Goran

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

From what I was told, they are still trying to get the whole map of the
world updated slowly. Some areas are accurate with actual satellite photos
whereas country areas and small towns and cities are left out with just
topographical info.
Now all you need is a map of the stars homes with their addresses and find
where they live on here.
I spent about 4 hours on this thing yesterday.
Travelled all over the world.

--
"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I found my daughters house in Surfers Australia but my area in New Zealand
>hasn't been covered and looks worse than a street directory
>
> Butts
>
> "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
>>I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn near, I
>>wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>>
>> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs37&d=05283&f=earth.jpg
>>
>> --
>>
>> boB,
>> SAG 70
>>
>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

Goran

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

Just zoomed into Washington DC and I think it's Captiol Hill or the White
house is blurred out with all surrounding buildings in focus. looks like
Bush doesnt want people spying on too much of Washington.

--
"Goran" <G-Man> wrote in message news:42d4feca$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> From what I was told, they are still trying to get the whole map of the
> world updated slowly. Some areas are accurate with actual satellite
> photos whereas country areas and small towns and cities are left out with
> just topographical info.
> Now all you need is a map of the stars homes with their addresses and find
> where they live on here.
> I spent about 4 hours on this thing yesterday.
> Travelled all over the world.
>

> --
> The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential
> and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
> If you are not the addressee(s) you are not authorised to and must not
> disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without my authority.
> "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I found my daughters house in Surfers Australia but my area in New Zealand
>>hasn't been covered and looks worse than a street directory
>>
>> Butts
>>
>> "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
>>>I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn near,
>>>I wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>>>
>>> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs37&d=05283&f=earth.jpg
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> boB,
>>> SAG 70
>>>
>>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

Hi Goran,

And it can even be used to see where NSW is going to have a lot of grief
next year!! :))))

http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05283/StateofOrigin.jpg

Being so close to the stadium, I'll be able to watch the game, grab a
few barbed wires on the way home, and be savouring the replay, before you've
even had time to get used to the shock of losing to us Queenslanders!!!

Regards,
John Ward
"Goran" <G-Man> wrote in message news:42d495de$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
>Download it and you'll see.
> Hey, that rhymes.
> ;o)
>
> http://earth.google.com
>
> --
> The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential
> and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
> If you are not the addressee(s) you are not authorised to and must not
> disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without my authority.

And your point is??? :))

JW
"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I found my daughters house in Surfers Australia but my area in New Zealand
>hasn't been covered and looks worse than a street directory
>
> Butts
>
> "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
>>I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn near, I
>>wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>>
>> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs37&d=05283&f=earth.jpg
>>
>> --
>>
>> boB,
>> SAG 70
>>
>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

Goran

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

you know, I was waiting for you to make a post like that. Surprised me that
you took so long though.
:eek:)
I seem to recall you being this optimistic before your last, what shall we
call it, Slaughter. You know we're going to win again, John. It's the way
of the universe.

--
"John ward" <johnrmward@opyusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Goran,
>
> And it can even be used to see where NSW is going to have a lot of
> grief next year!! :))))
>
> http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05283/StateofOrigin.jpg
>
> Being so close to the stadium, I'll be able to watch the game, grab a
> few barbed wires on the way home, and be savouring the replay, before
> you've even had time to get used to the shock of losing to us
> Queenslanders!!!
>
> Regards,
> John Ward
> "Goran" <G-Man> wrote in message news:42d495de$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>>A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
>>Download it and you'll see.
>> Hey, that rhymes.
>> ;o)
>>
>> http://earth.google.com
>>
>> --
>> The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential
>> and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
>> If you are not the addressee(s) you are not authorised to and must not
>> disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without my authority.

356 days, and a few hours, to go!!

JW
"Goran" <G-Man> wrote in message news:42d5911f$2@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> you know, I was waiting for you to make a post like that. Surprised me
> that you took so long though.
> :eek:)
> I seem to recall you being this optimistic before your last, what shall we
> call it, Slaughter. You know we're going to win again, John. It's the
> way of the universe.
>

> --
> The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential
> and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
> If you are not the addressee(s) you are not authorised to and must not
> disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without my authority.
> "John ward" <johnrmward@opyusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi Goran,
>>
>> And it can even be used to see where NSW is going to have a lot of
>> grief next year!! :))))
>>
>> http://xs37.xs.to/pics/05283/StateofOrigin.jpg
>>
>> Being so close to the stadium, I'll be able to watch the game, grab a
>> few barbed wires on the way home, and be savouring the replay, before
>> you've even had time to get used to the shock of losing to us
>> Queenslanders!!!
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ward
>> "Goran" <G-Man> wrote in message news:42d495de$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>>>A little to do with flight. It's a damn dandy program. And it's free.
>>>Download it and you'll see.
>>> Hey, that rhymes.
>>> ;o)
>>>
>>> http://earth.google.com
>>>
>>> --
>>> The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential
>>> and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
>>> If you are not the addressee(s) you are not authorised to and must not
>>> disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without my authority.

Hi CRaSH,

"...(more better :)...."

Geeze, mate - I don't think Quilljar or David Wilson-Okamura are going
to stand for that! :)

Regards,
John Ward
"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> boB wrote:
>> I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn
>> near, I wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>>

> I tried Google, but TerraServer still rules for civilian up close &
> personal!
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/CRaSH%20site/?action=view&current=crash1.jpg&slideshow=paused&interval=5
>
> Hit RESUME to start the slide show - or click on "back to photobucket
> album"
> to select the shots manually at FULL size (more better :)....
>
> Google's probably covers more territory, haven't played with it world wide
> yet.....
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

Hi CRaSH,

Wow - clear as a bell, very photo-realistic!

I guess that's the maximum zoom?

Regards,
John Ward
"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> boB wrote:
>> I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn
>> near, I wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>>

> I tried Google, but TerraServer still rules for civilian up close &
> personal!
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/CRaSH%20site/?action=view&current=crash1.jpg&slideshow=paused&interval=5
>
> Hit RESUME to start the slide show - or click on "back to photobucket
> album"
> to select the shots manually at FULL size (more better :)....
>
> Google's probably covers more territory, haven't played with it world wide
> yet.....
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

Goran

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

I found meigs field. Pre-deomlished and planes parked.

--
"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> boB <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote:
>
>> I took a few minutes and took some snaps of my house. It gets darn near,
>> I wonder what the secret satellite resolution can see.
>>
>> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs37&d=05283&f=earth.jpg
>
> boB, you are too funny!
>
> Put the coffee on; I am coming over. :)
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

CRaSH <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote:

> I tried Google, but TerraServer still rules for civilian up close &
> personal!

This definitely depends on the location into which one is zooming in Google
Earth.

GE does contain areas, such as that surrounding your house, that are low
resolution images but they also contain and are continually adding more
high resolution areas.

Here is a high resolution image of the company, taken out of GE, for which
I am currently consulting:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/thericcs1/images/NE.jpg

Additionally, at least with respect to the images surrounding the Northeast
US, Google Earth's images are only one to a few years old. Terraserver's
images are approximately ten to fifteen years old. This makes a
difference.

Another observation I had is that Google Earth purposely leaves many
"sensitive" areas as low resolution. For example, the airport in which I
fly out of IRL is also a US Air National Guard base that houses several
F-16s.

In GE, the area completely surrounding the airport is all high resolution,
but the airport itself is low resolution, which makes the image about as
useful as what you tried to zoom into over your house. Not all airports
are low resolution, though, only the ones that have a military presence.

Interestingly, GE went a step further with the US Capital. They completely
blocked it out with a mosaic of pixels. Also, the roofs of surrounding
buildings in the Washington area have all been colored in.

--
Peter