Excessive Controller Writes to NAND

interpolnyc

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
Hi.

I just got my FIRST ssd. A PNY 240GB XLR8 model.

After a FRESH install of Windows 7 64bits and installation of service pack 1 and all updates, I realized using OPEN HARDWARE MONITOR that my Controller Writes to NAND are huge

I just watched and episode of BigBangTheory FROM an HDD (with the system on the ssd) and the Controller Writes to NAND went from 392 gb to 396 gb. JUST FROM WATCHING AN MKV file from a HDD !!

is this ok?

The overall numbers that I have are these
Controller Writes to NAND 398gb
Host Writes to Controller 213gb
Host reads 308gb

Please help me here. Is my first SSD and I need to know if everything is ok.

thanks

kanewolf

Titan
If you are trying to limit writes, then verify that the TEMP and TMP environment variables point to a mechanical (or RAM) disk. Depending on how much RAM you have, the SWAP file could have come into play.

Most articles, and testing have shown that you will outgrow (want a new one) before you wear out your SSD.

interpolnyc

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014

I did all of that optimization before this issue. Except the pagefile that is NEEDED for some games, the rest is all done and the controller writes to NAND still up.

I used SSD LIFE and that soft marks that in the last 7 days my SSD writed 1 gb ONLY 1 gb. But the controller writes to nand on OPEN HARDWARE MONITOR are about 100x

The SSD is outside a case like my computer. Temps are controlled by AC to 24/25 C.

And I´m worried if this value is important o just need to ignore this.

watch this screencapture if this may help

ssd_writes.jpg

interpolnyc

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014

my pagefile is on the HDD

System specs

ASUS M5A99x
aMD FX8320
8 gb ddr3 1866mhz
gtx 970
2 x 1 TB HDD 7200rpm
1 SSD XLR8 240gb
CM SILENT PRO 700M

interpolnyc

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
Nobody can help me ??

I found other guy with the same problem here

http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2hhki8/ssd_fast_degradation_high_controller_writes_to/

Any ideas?