Question Excessive Question..!

minecraft.1239

Commendable
Dec 28, 2018
This is a broad question, if you don't mind reading it I appreciate it! The question is generally, how sturdy/ reliable is hardware physically and also, id like to know why exactly something I did fixed my PC.

Heres what happened- So i got a gaming pc, Asrock ab350pro4, ryzen 5 1400, gtx 1060. Been running great. Overclocked to 3.7ghz @ 1.275v. It worked good. After a while I decided to upgrade my bios to the latest. After that I reentered my overclock values, saved and exited in bios, reboots, dead.

PC turns on, no display, fans run, leds on, etc. I thought maybe I changed something bad in the bios, or my gpu was being short voltage or something. I had no idea. I started taking everything apart. Took out GPU, unplugged fans, USB hubs, etc. During that, i notice i might have been a little hard on my hardware. When pulling out the gpu and ram, i noticed it was really stuck in their, i heard like plastic breaking noises and stuff. Nothing physically is broken, it just made some not so nice plastic sounds. It gave me an ill feeling like i damaged the pins on the motherboard, or gpu/ram.

Anyway, however, I reset the CMOS on the motherboard and put everything back in and WHIOLA. It booted fine, everything works. Tested running games and benchmark utilities etc. It was good.

My question is, if something is damaged, can It still work fine and you just dont know? and lastly, how did the bios become corrupt? Power was never lost and I'm assuming that that was the problem. Thanks for reading this long thread and appreciate the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to the 'plastic' noises, was the PSU plugged in to the wall, and also the motherboard? If so, it was probably the sound of electric arcing. This is where loose connections cause the electricity to jump across. You should avoid this by unplugging the PSU from the wall, turning the switch off and unplugging it from the motherboard - if you don't, the electricity might jump to the wrong pin, causing a short and damaging your component/s.

The PC most likely didn't turn on as the new update changed something to do with overclocks, meaning your previous one was incompatible. Taking the CMOS battery out reset the BIOS, and the overclocks with it. You should start with a lesser overclock, stress test it with Prime95, then gradually increase until it becomes unstable.

To test for broken parts:
RAM: download Memtest86 and create a bootable USB. Boot into this and run it for 4-5 passes. Any errors will be given.
CPU: download and run Prime95 to stress test.
GPU: download and run Heaven Benchmark to stress test this.
HDD/SSD: download and run SeaTools for Windows. Check through it all for any errors.

minecraft.1239

Commendable
Dec 28, 2018
In regards to the 'plastic' noises, was the PSU plugged in to the wall, and also the motherboard? If so, it was probably the sound of electric arcing. This is where loose connections cause the electricity to jump across. You should avoid this by unplugging the PSU from the wall, turning the switch off and unplugging it from the motherboard - if you don't, the electricity might jump to the wrong pin, causing a short and damaging your component/s.

The PC most likely didn't turn on as the new update changed something to do with overclocks, meaning your previous one was incompatible. Taking the CMOS battery out reset the BIOS, and the overclocks with it. You should start with a lesser overclock, stress test it with Prime95, then gradually increase until it becomes unstable.

To test for broken parts:
RAM: download Memtest86 and create a bootable USB. Boot into this and run it for 4-5 passes. Any errors will be given.
CPU: download and run Prime95 to stress test.
GPU: download and run Heaven Benchmark to stress test this.
HDD/SSD: download and run SeaTools for Windows. Check through it all for any errors.
YES! I did make sure to unplug the PSU as well as turn it off from the back panel. I used Heaven benchmark for GPU and cinebench for CPU, nothing crashed. One thing i forgot to mention, i used ryzen master utility to overclock. It rebooted my pc and the overclock was their, however I wanted to check the bios to see if it indeed did change the values, it didnt so i changed them their and thats when the mobo refused to post ( no bios no display) Could ryzen master have done something?

minecraft.1239

Commendable
Dec 28, 2018
If everything is testing fine, there is probably no problems. Did you make sure to, on the RAM, undo the notches at the top and bottom of each slot before taking the modules out; on the GPU holding the little trigger on the slot down?
Yea I made sure to undo the clips on the ram. For the gpu I made sure to undo the sliding clip on my mobo, however one of the expansion slots on the case that is screwed on, one of the screws was blocking the lower part of the gpu I/o area. So when trying to pull it out I noticed some wierd plastic noises. I didnt realize that was their until a bit after. So I unscrewed it and was able to take out my gpu. When putting it back in I didn’t hear a click, however my mono has a sliding lock mechanism so I don’t think it is suppose to.

TRENDING THREADS