Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Server DC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

I know I shouldn't have done it, but since we just have 2 servers, both
domain controllers, I had to install Exchange 2003 on one of them. The fact
is that since then, rebooting the Exchange server takes a lot of time; not
only for the shutdown process, but also during the restart.

Worst of all: after the last restart, the server has stuck during the
msgbox that states 'Aplying machine configuration' and does not go any
further. After 4 hours, the message box is still there and no one can log
onto the server, exchange has not started (mailboxes cannot be read) and I
don't know what to do.

Has anyone a solution for this? When the problem is solved, can I demote
that DC to be a member server without any major problem or will other issues
appear?

Thanks in advance and regards.

"David Lightman Robles" <_NOSPAM_dlightman@iname_NOSPAM_.com> ha scritto
nel messaggio news:uj7HWPyIEHA.364@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

> I know I shouldn't have done it, but since we just have 2 servers, both
> domain controllers, I had to install Exchange 2003 on one of them. The
> fact is that since then, rebooting the Exchange server takes a lot of
> time; not only for the shutdown process, but also during the restart.

Same here. A full shutdown can take up to 10-15 minutes... :-(

> Worst of all: after the last restart, the server has stuck during the
> msgbox that states 'Aplying machine configuration' and does not go any
> further. After 4 hours, the message box is still there and no one can log
> onto the server, exchange has not started (mailboxes cannot be read) and I
> don't know what to do.

Well, if it really is stuck there, I fear hard-rebooting it can be the only
available solution :-(
Have you tried something like a "shutdown" command sent from another
computer in the domain?

> Has anyone a solution for this? When the problem is solved, can I demote
> that DC to be a member server without any major problem or will other
> issues appear?

I don't know, sorry.
But, even if you could, I don't suggest running a domain with only one DC...
if it ever crashes, you'll definitely regret having done that.

Massimo

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

You should also try posting in the Exchange 2000 admin or general newsgroup.
There is a lot of good resources there.

Phil