Exchange Worthy?

I recently received an Intel 865PERL motherboard, shipped from an online
vendor. When I opened the motherboard box I discovered that it was packed
upside down - the northbridge heatsink was supporting all of the weight
during shipping (there were heatsink fin indentations in the bottom of the
box). Nothing is loose on the board, but I haven't installed it yet to test
it. Then again, considering how sophisticated motherboards are, I'm
wondering how long it could take to see symptoms of a problem anyway. Should
I exchange it or is it no big deal? Has anyone else ever received a mobo
packed like this? TIA.

"DasherDown" <ddown@msn.net> wrote in message
>I recently received an Intel 865PERL motherboard, shipped from an online
>vendor. When I opened the motherboard box I discovered that it was packed
>upside down - the northbridge heatsink was supporting all of the weight
>during shipping (there were heatsink fin indentations in the bottom of the
>box). Nothing is loose on the board, but I haven't installed it yet to test
>it. Then again, considering how sophisticated motherboards are, I'm
>wondering how long it could take to see symptoms of a problem anyway.
>Should I exchange it or is it no big deal? Has anyone else ever received a
>mobo packed like this? TIA.

Get another one, why not?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Richard Dower wrote:
> "DasherDown" <ddown@msn.net> wrote in message
>
>>I recently received an Intel 865PERL motherboard, shipped from an online
>>vendor. When I opened the motherboard box I discovered that it was packed
>>upside down - the northbridge heatsink was supporting all of the weight
>>during shipping (there were heatsink fin indentations in the bottom of the
>>box). Nothing is loose on the board, but I haven't installed it yet to test
>>it. Then again, considering how sophisticated motherboards are, I'm
>>wondering how long it could take to see symptoms of a problem anyway.
>>Should I exchange it or is it no big deal? Has anyone else ever received a
>>mobo packed like this? TIA.
>>

> Get another one, why not?

You want to return a MB that you think "Might" have a problem in the
future? That can be said about any MB received by anyone and packed in
the most protective packaging. If you see physical damage, I would say
go ahead. But if you are worried about something that might have
happened, that could be said about ANYTHING you buy.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

In article <38q1t0F5o752tU1@individual.net>, DasherDown says...
> I recently received an Intel 865PERL motherboard, shipped from an online
> vendor. When I opened the motherboard box I discovered that it was packed
> upside down - the northbridge heatsink was supporting all of the weight
> during shipping (there were heatsink fin indentations in the bottom of the
> box). Nothing is loose on the board, but I haven't installed it yet to test
> it. Then again, considering how sophisticated motherboards are, I'm
> wondering how long it could take to see symptoms of a problem anyway. Should
> I exchange it or is it no big deal? Has anyone else ever received a mobo
> packed like this? TIA.

And how many motherboards do you think have ended up being transported
upside down by parcel couriers? Can you guarantee that the next box you
buy ill have spent its life always being transported flat and right
side up?

--
Conor

-- George Patton

"Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message

>Can you guarantee that the next box you
> buy ill have spent its life always being transported flat and right
> side up?

Of course not, but what I can guarantee is that it was wrongly packed. If
it were properly packed the top most cushioning would have distributed the
board's weight more evenly, regardless of its orientation during delivery.
I was really more curious if others have received boards packed that way,
and if they had any resulting problems.

A coworker of mine just built a machine using the same board. It was
shipped the same way, I know because I opened the box and noticed it myself.
Don't worry about it.

Worry about Zone 2 overheating, good luck with that one!

--Dan

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Worry about Zone 2 overheating, good luck with that one!

I hear that. I have another system based on the same board, I fixed the
overheating problem with a better HSF (Thermalright XP-90), the stock cooler
just wasn't cutting it with a 3GHz P4. Fortunately the new one will be
using a 2.4GHz P4.

>>I recently received an Intel 865PERL motherboard, shipped from an online
>>>vendor. When I opened the motherboard box I discovered that it was packed
>>>upside down - the northbridge heatsink was supporting all of the weight
>>>during shipping (there were heatsink fin indentations in the bottom of the
>>>box). Nothing is loose on the board, but I haven't installed it yet to test
>>>it. Then again, considering how sophisticated motherboards are, I'm
>>>wondering how long it could take to see symptoms of a problem anyway.
>>>Should I exchange it or is it no big deal? Has anyone else ever received a
>>>mobo packed like this? TIA.
>>>

> Get another one, why not?

Keep it and use it, why not?

> I hear that. I have another system based on the same board, I fixed the
> overheating problem with a better HSF (Thermalright XP-90), the stock
cooler
> just wasn't cutting it with a 3GHz P4. Fortunately the new one will be
> using a 2.4GHz P4.

Today the guy at work picked up a new case for his system. I have to say,
the new case made a big difference. Maybe the problem will return, but just
minutes before going home for the day he started a really big CPU intensive
task and the temperature of zone 2 didn't rise above 95f or so. It was
running for a good 10 minutes like that. It WAS going over 122f and
sounding an alarm before the case upgrade. His system is using a 3ghz
prescott. I have a d875pbzlk with a 3.2 northwood and have had no
overheating problems except for when the case got really dusty inside and I
loaded down the CPU. Gotta keep things clean in there!

--Dan

> Today the guy at work picked up a new case for his system. I have to say,
> the new case made a big difference. Maybe the problem will return, but
> just
> minutes before going home for the day he started a really big CPU
> intensive
> task and the temperature of zone 2 didn't rise above 95f or so. It was
> running for a good 10 minutes like that. It WAS going over 122f and
> sounding an alarm before the case upgrade.

My temps range between 90-110f depending on CPU usage (using a 3 GHz
northwood). It was a bit cooler but my new Antec PS drove it up again.
Antec slowed the PS fans for the sake of lower noise, but at the cost of
higher heat.

> His system is using a 3ghz prescott.

BTW, when did he receive his motherboard? I'm wondering if a certain batch
were just packed upside down. I got mine two days ago.

I had the same overheating problem with my 865perl with a 3.2 P4; the
alarms drove me nuts. I kept the stock CPU cooler, but got a case with
2 120mm fans, one blowing in at the front bottom and another blowing out
below the PSU and by the CPU. Made all the diff.