Exchanging GTX 970 for GTX 980 that I bought under 30 days ago from Newegg, can it be done?

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Does anyone know if this is possible given the situation with the GTX 970's memory controller? I'm already seeing games that are using more than 3.5GB of Vram, Dying Light for example. I would like to be using the card's memory capacity at full speed. =[

In the end, what really matters is real world performance. Maybe that memory structure will require nvidia to be a little more creative with their drivers, but the hard fact is that we don't really see a significant setback with the 970, and that is what counts in the end of the day.

As for games "using" more than XXGB of VRAM, we seem to circle back to this subject every now and then. Keep in mind that memory allocation is entirely different from memory usage. The video driver will always try to allocate and pre-load everything it can, because it can and why shouldn't it? That does not mean the extra VRAM is actually achieving a performance advantage. As long as the available buffer is enough for anything the game engine demands at one time, there is no performance disadvantage. This was a big topic of discussion based on the Titan card's 6GB buffer and claims that it was needed for X, Y or Z game. In the end benchmarks show it is not. 3.5GB on the other hand is a lot more down to earth, and it is possible that some scenarios would benefit from that extra 512, so this might be one of the reasons the card starts to lag behind its peers in higher resolutions (think 4k).

Finally, my advice is to use real world data, and also never compare benchmarks from different test sets. Personally, I have one 970 SC and still don't think the 980 is worth the extra cost. In fact, I'm contemplating a second one for SLI to run a 21:9 UWQHD monitor.

Edit: just to further the point, the recommended hardware for Dying Light states a 2GB VRAM video card.

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
I have a gtx 970 and I have no problem beside the fact I wasnt at home for a week and the temps have gone up a little on idle. Anyhow I doubt you will be able to just take it back if you've used it, if it had a problem then maybe.

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

I was kind of expecting some answers like this. Not to be rude, but I should have specified that I wasn't interested in debating this. It's to my understanding that the card can utilize 4 GB of ram, but at a slower speed. I bought this card with the 4 GB of ram in mind, and frankly, the situation makes me uncomfortable as it does for a lot of people.

Again, I just want to know if anyone has experience with trying to exchange cards to Newegg within the 30 day exchange window. I'm sure people are already trying this. Newegg is probably getting bombarded right now.

In that case, as long as you didn't cause any visible damage to the card nor reclaimed mail-in rebates, you should be able to RMA it without problems. Newegg is known to have a good post-sale support and RMA processes are usually quite easy. Do make sure every single thing that came with the card is returned or they will probably deny the RMA. You may be subject to a 15% restock fee, too.

0x1eef

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

Are there some good links on SLI and related topics? I'm trying to imagine the limitations of 970 SLI, like, "will adding second GPU help if game stutters on a single one because it tries to load more than 3.5 GB of textures or smth?"

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I had 970's in sli for 5760x1080. I had lower then expected performance, Just figured it wasn't as good as everyone said it was and switched to AMD who is known to have a slight edge in higher resolutions. Now I feel slightly cheated because I feel the slower .5 ram, fewer rops, and less l2 led to my lower high resolution performance. at 1080p however, it shouldnt make a difference.

In this specific case you mention the answer would definitely be no, since the buffer in one card is effectively a copy of the one on the other (cards take turns rendering each frame, so each one needs the whole buffer). In this sense, SLI actually makes memory buffer limitations more pronounced, since you increase bandwidth and processing power but retain the same buffer size. There are SLI performance reviews, though, and again SLI performance is still way over a single 980 even at ([strike]4k[/strike]) UHD:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,21.html

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I've been shopping at Newegg for years. Their Graphic Cards have a standard "VGA 30 Day Return Policy". So the answer is YES you can return the card. However, they don't have the option to exchange for a different card. When you RMA a graphics cards, you can either REPLACE or REFUND. If you want to get another card, Request an RMA on their website and ask for REFUND. Just state you are not happy with your purchase and your RMA will be automatically approved. Then send the card back. They will inspect and if you included everything... they will issue the refund in the manner how you paid. If you used a Gift Card, you will receive a Newegg Credit. If you paid by credit... that account will be credited. Once that is done, then you can go on the website and order a different card. Just remember the card has to be returned within 30 days of the date you purchased it... not when you originally received it by mail. So if it took a week to get it.. you will have under 3 weeks. I'm fortunate when I order because Newegg's location is within 30 min. of my house... so most of my orders arrive the next day with the free eggsaver shipping.

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

Newegg denied my return and pasted Nvidia's official response and told me to take it up with them. I just bought this card 3 weeks ago. It seems like Newegg doesn't want to deal with the situation at all, even though their website had the specifications wrong. Newegg should be putting pressure on Nvidia and not making the customer suffer.

I'm not even sure how to contact Nvidia because I don't see any contact information.

Edit: I'm going to try EVGA as well.

TRENDING THREADS