Exclusive: 'Nehalem' at 2.9GHz and X58

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

january = upgrade time for me

new nehalem quad core 2.66 ghz then OC it =D

ddr3 ram

4870 X2... or the die shrink of gtx 200's...

x58 mobo

woohoo

big step over my current core 2 duo e6420 @ 3.2 ghz, 8800 gts 640 and 2 gb of 800 mhz ram

looking forward to it

G

EZ guys, I wouldn't get too excited until we see some actual benchmarks. The article basically just said, "Hey guys, we have the new Intel CPU, which now includes all of the same features that AMD have had for the past 5 years, but we can't tell you how fast it is..."

The fact that the NDA does not allow benchmarks makes me very skeptical of Nehalem's performance, what on earth is the point of sending samples to the media if they can't benchmark it? Is it normal to do this?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
I thought Intel is going to put forward the 8 core/16 threads "extreme" edition Nehalem chip first, like they did for earlier generations. Good for us, I guess.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I so want one of these, but I will wait for the bugs to shake out and the chipset prices to come down a bit :)

I wouldn't worry about the performance Intel has had years to watch AMD and look for ways to make it better... Hyperthreading on 4 cores thats gonna be fun.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Jay-D[/nom]EZ guys, I wouldn't get too excited until we see some actual benchmarks. The article basically just said, "Hey guys, we have the new Intel CPU, which now includes all of the same features that AMD have had for the past 5 years, but we can't tell you how fast it is..."The fact that the NDA does not allow benchmarks makes me very skeptical of Nehalem's performance, what on earth is the point of sending samples to the media if they can't benchmark it? Is it normal to do this?[/citation]
Normally I would say exactly my friend. On another site they actually did do some benchmarks on this CPU with a crude board and netted in the neighborhood of 30-40% better performance than the current best offerings. Not sure about the motherboard but the CPU is for real.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Some GOOD Things, Affordable, with smallest at ~$379 & Bandwidth at 32 gb/s. This means most futuremark reference tests will approach 32,000, as basicly its bandwidth test. Which is 1/3 more than Todays Best.

It is too bad rd8800 chipset coming ('9) from AMD is based upon two year old retail design, nvidia? 8800 gtx basicly moved to chipset,yet at least its based on TOP of Line from Way Back Then & thus Pre Ultimate, How Long Must We Wait? X58 is for Whoopper, yet same size 700 million transistors Desktop/workstation class CPU.

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I am curious to see what effect the launch of the x58 and Nehalem will have on the prices of current procs and mobos. Hopefully they will drop enough to entice me into a build! I have heard opinions that the price drop will not be significant, but a guy can dream, right?

lobofanina

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Jay-D on-die memory controllers and HyperTransport obviously weren't needed for Intel to smack AMD around for close to two years now, so I'm little confused with your bragging. AMD blew its load metaphorically with those two features and hasn't came out with a competitive chip since. Tying a 16 month old q6600 while using more power is pathetic. Superior engineering means nothing if your competition is flying circles around you using yesterdays ideas.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
am3 - lol!

am2 is am1.1 and am3 is am1.2 really amd is so far behind

nvidia stock is at 12 and we see why intel has its stuff together big time no rumors of delays - no braggin like amd "true quad" disaster

nehalem wil facilate a big upgrade cycle - what a ride!

theblackbird

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
This new hardware will only be useful for people working with heavy duty tasks, like 3D and video editing HD content. Gaming will still depend on your graphics card, and a few seconds less loading Vista isn't something to get wet dreams about. For me it's NOhalem.

silversound

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I sense this generation intel Nehalem wont be as revolutionary as the core 2, the improved performance around 30% disappoints me... Did I see some review saying nahalem should be 2x faster than core 2??? I will keep my core 2 instead or wait and see AM3

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
the improved performance around 30% disappoints me
It is in clock-for-clock comparison if I'm not mistaken! So you're facing a CPU architecture that is approx one-third better than the previous.
If this is not enough for you, then you must be living in a dream world.

I don't think that Nehalem will impact the mainstream prices when it's released because it is likely to be an enterprise platform for half a year or so...

From what i hear the GTX280 is more cpu limited atm so this will help, and as for AM3 - does anyone remember the 939 to AM2 hype - i hope there isn't a repeat of that indecent.

I get the feeling x58 within months will look like an old Pentium 4 chipset like the i850 and will seem obsolete after working out a few performance leaps etc.

I see alot of people winging about "30 - 40% boost" as if its not enough - thats a huge leading edge over any AMD and its insufficient? wtf! even a Q6600 towers over any AMD, if AMD is lucky they might get that 30% boost and break even with a Core2 system, and i don't find having to replace ram, motherboard and cpu for a in-superior platform either - AMD better make AM3 count.

On the other hand since app and game designers design most things for current generation hardware, equally AMD etc i dont see a need to upgrade for a while since my hardware will be sufficent (Q6600 @ 3.5ghz) - ill wait for the "tock" version of this new Intel design.

lobofanina

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
[citation][nom]theblackbird[/nom]This new hardware will only be useful for people working with heavy duty tasks, like 3D and video editing HD content. Gaming will still depend on your graphics card, and a few seconds less loading Vista isn't something to get wet dreams about. For me it's NOhalem.[/citation]People running Supreme Commander Forged Alliance could put that extra power to use in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.