G

Hello,
My son's laptop got a virus called XP Antivirus 2010 or something like that. I used Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to remove it, which it did, but now none of his .exe files will open. Thus, his computer is basically stalled. How do I fix this? Every fix I found online is also an .exe file, so no dice there.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
use a program called combo fix, it will remove the rootkit that XP antivirus leaves behind and also reset admin rights so that your exe files will work again.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

download and run that, if it does not run because of the rootkit just change the file name to someting else, I have noticed some versions of xp antivirus block it but changing the name gets round that.

Also tell your son not to use limewire as thats the main source of this malware.

ATF

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

Thanks for posting this info about ComboFix.exe. I also had a problem with Antivirus XP although I knew I had a virus immediately after the first popup because of it's phony sounding text, and mispelling of the term unregistered. Ad-aware popped up a note that it was background scanning and would allow me to remove the virus, however, the virus renamed my copy of Avast Antivirus, and also deleted the program association with .exe. I had to rename Combofix to run under a .com name, but it worked well, and appears to have restored everything back to normal. Took about 30-40 minutes I think.