Question "Executive permissions" on Linux Mint ?

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
Hi, i'm using an M.2 SSD as my boot drive for Linux, and i also have a 1TB SSD that i want to use for my games, but steam won't allow me to use the drive (designated on Linux as /dev/sda) for games saying it needs "executive permissions" can anyone help me with this? i'd appriciate it

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hi
Did you format the drive? all drives need formatting before using them. I suggest gparted.

if its formatted than

use this command to find the mount point
Code:
 lsblk -f

Than the command for the permissions would be something like this. This example is my backup drive

Code:
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /media/main/backup

The command for your system would change the user name and the drive name.

Code:
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /media/name of user account /name of your drive

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
In case you have formatted the drive or are planning to do so, don't forget to pick the right settings. Ext4 would be the right file system if you use Linux in most cases , not sure if a swap partition would be useful. I might add more info once I've done some more reading about that ( I mean swap partitions ). If you haven't formatted the drive yet , it is likely to be an NTFS partition at the moment. Maybe you can add info aquired via gsmartcontrol, which can be found in the software center.

Here you can read about the pros and cons of swap partitions :
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/swap-partition/

Last edited:
Some Information - possible useful for you : When you do a format on a partition on Linux, you most probably do this as root (i.e. when you're asked for root password when launching Gparted that is because this program need to run as root).

This also have this side effect that every partition created, becomes owned by root, and you typically want to use chmod to change ownership to your regular user.