[SOLVED] Exhaust fan in addition to AIO top exhaust?

txbdan

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I got a gaming PC from Microcenter (I know I know, parts shortages, ok? :-D ) that uses Lian Li 205 case. It has two 140mm front intake fans and a two fan AIO exhausting out of the top. No rear exhaust fan. rtx3070 and 3700x

Ideally, should this case have a rear exhaust fan or will that just make the AIO fans have to work harder to force air through the exchanger and out the top?

Solution
Are you having any heat or performance issues that need a fix?
If so, invest ten bucks and try a fan and see.
I might guess that airflow over the motherboard and graphics card is being diverted up and out of the case.
A rear exhaust might do something for them, but I would not hope for much.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I like a rear intake with a top radiator myself, but rear exhaust is probably better in your situation. Right now you have fairly positive pressure with two 140mm intake and only two 120mm? AIO exhausting. Either way, those exhaust fans are more restricted than the intake.

Are you having any heat or performance issues that need a fix?
If so, invest ten bucks and try a fan and see.
I might guess that airflow over the motherboard and graphics card is being diverted up and out of the case.
A rear exhaust might do something for them, but I would not hope for much.

Solution

txbdan

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
My CPU maxes out at around 73C running Prime95. My biggest issue is the fan noise, even when idling. Maybe i should spend more time with the fan profiles. Are the "silent" profiles a bad idea? What should i know about the profile for the header that controls the water pump? i think that's how it works at least. There's one header for water pump and one for the two AIO fans?

Is the fan noise coming from the top radiator, or is it coming from the front intakes.
Put a paper tube to your ear like a stethoscope to identify the prime offender.

high rpm might be necessary for the aio to adequately cool your 3070.
My particular 3070 needs two 8 pin connectors and draws a lot of power when benchmarked under full load. that is the nature of high powered graphics cards under load.

OTOH, my i9-11900F under full load becomes only modestly loud using a noctua NH-D15s cooler.
My only intakes are two noctua 140mm front intakes.
Under normal use, I hear very little noise.

Not much you can do except to try different fan settings to get a better noise to cooling balance.