[SOLVED] Exhaust fan rar or in the top

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
I now in my case have a 240mm aio in the top 2x arctic p12, one in the bottom and one in the rear and 3 artic p14 in the front

I have ordered 2x140mm arctic P14 so i again can use the arctic P12 on my aio, i will than have the new 2x140 mm fans, one for the bottom next to my psu and one as an exhaust fan, but where ?

I think because theres space for 3x140mm fans in the top, that i have enough space for the 240mm aio and the 140mm fan or should i just use it in the back,rear next to the i/o panel ?

Solution
Top or rear, exhaust.
Front or bottom, intake.

Doesn't make a hillbillies difference if the fans are on an aio or not, or where the aio is mounted. It's fan airflow orientation that's important.

You can slap 3x 120mm on the bottom of that case if you choose to, all intake. After a certain point, the amount of fans crosses the point of minimal returns, and you've passed it, so any further fan additions are moot, just something to change air direction.
Putting any kind of exhaust in the top nearest the front will just pull fresh air straight out of the case that's been supplied by the front intakes.
Its fairly worthless there.

Keep your aio in the top slots nearest the rear of the case, fit the exhaust to the rear of the case itself.

With 3 front intakes in your case air will be continously pushed towards the back, that's where your exhaust need to be.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
with a dvd drive in the front the front aio fan wouldn't take to much of the cold air out of the case

Thermaltake core x71 so fare i have the 140mm fan in the rear and one next to my psu 3x140mm in the front and a 240mm aio just before my dvd drive and a few inches of clearence to the rear fan

there is space for 3x120 mm fans in the front,rear,bottom left/right and top + 2x200mm in the top and front, a 420mm aio in the front and a 360mm aio in the top and front + left/right bottom.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, now we're getting somewhere... still don't know what all you're trying to cool in this chassis...

Thermaltake Core X71
Top: 240mm AIO, unknown if intake or exhaust
Front: 3x Arctic P14, as intake, I hope?
Rear: 1x Arctic P12, exhaust?
Bottom: 1x Arctic P12, intake?

I'm not seeing anything really wrong with the current setup, except you've got more surface area than you know what to do with...
The Core X71 is a showcase chassis intended to - well, show off, fancy liquid cooled builds.
There's no need for you to just add more fans.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
Ok, now we're getting somewhere... still don't know what all you're trying to cool in this chassis...

Thermaltake Core X71
Top: 240mm AIO, unknown if intake or exhaust
Front: 3x Arctic P14, as intake, I hope?
Rear: 1x Arctic P12, exhaust?
Bottom: 1x Arctic P12, intake?

I'm not seeing anything really wrong with the current setup, except you've got more surface area than you know what to do with...
The Core X71 is a showcase chassis intended to - well, show off, fancy liquid cooled builds.
There's no need for you to just add more fans.

YES

I wanted to know top or rear exhaust fan since i couldn't find any information with a 240mm aio in top and than an exhaust fan in the top or rear.

I could have used a 120mm fan at the top so i would 3 x120mm same fans taking hot air out of the case, where 2 fans are on an aio, but bought a 140mm because it's the real and only exhaust fan not on an aio, with only the case gril restricting airflow, i wanted it to be a little more effective therefor 140mm

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Top or rear, exhaust.
Front or bottom, intake.

Doesn't make a hillbillies difference if the fans are on an aio or not, or where the aio is mounted. It's fan airflow orientation that's important.

You can slap 3x 120mm on the bottom of that case if you choose to, all intake. After a certain point, the amount of fans crosses the point of minimal returns, and you've passed it, so any further fan additions are moot, just something to change air direction.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
YES

I wanted to know top or rear exhaust fan since i couldn't find any information with a 240mm aio in top and than an exhaust fan in the top or rear.

I could have used a 120mm fan at the top so i would 3 x120mm same fans taking hot air out of the case, where 2 fans are on an aio, but bought a 140mm because it's the real and only exhaust fan not on an aio, with only the case gril restricting airflow, i wanted it to be a little more effective therefor 140mm
The above post already said it.
Since you already have 3 front intakes, AIO top exhaust, and rear exhaust, there's really no need to do anything else with it; effect of diminishing returns.
As I posted earlier, that chassis was really meant for custom liquid cooled setups.