[SOLVED] Exhausting a case through a slim radiator

Jul 27, 2019
I apologize for my dumb question, but I’m planning a build that limits my cooling from the front to the back. I am planning on using a Phobya 480/560 radiator on the front with four (or eight) 140mm fans. I have room for two 140mm fans at the rear of the case. Every build I see has simple exhaust fans at the rear, however, I want to maximize my cooling so I was wondering if I could add a second slim/high flow radiator to one or both rear fans? I know the radiator will slow the airflow, but would it not also vent the case somewhat? It would also be first in the loop to exhaust the hottest air through the rear radiator first before the larger front radiator would cool it further with fresh cooler air. Can I add a radiator on the exhaust, or is it necessary/best to stick with simple case fans on the exhaust? I’m leaning towards a single slim 140mm radiator in a push configuration plus a 140mm case fan beside it at the rear. If it would work though, a slim 140x2 (280) radiator would look more balanced and add more surface area, but I’m thinking it may not exhaust the case very well even with a push/pull. I’m willing to do push/pull on both rads, but that would mean 12 fans! I welcome all input gratefully!

Last edited:
Solution
I figure if the rear radiator is first in the loop, then it will exhaust the hottest air first and drop the fluid temperature slightly before flowing to the front radiator where the larger and cooler intake radiator would drop it even more before heading back to the CPU and GPU.
Well, I had only one radiator and that was at the back set as exhaust but you are right if you have dual rads inline.
Thank you. I was afraid that going full radiators front and back might restrict the airflow too much since I’ve never seen anyone else do that.
I was using CM Nepton 140 XL which is double thickness with push-pull 140mm fans and it worked well against two 140mm fans as intakes. Just because radiator fans are made with higher static pressure, it doesn't mean they dun't push enough air.

Reactions: Tim Goffard
Jul 27, 2019
I was using CM Nepton 140 XL which is double thickness with push-pull 140mm fans and it worked well against two 140mm fans as intakes. Just because radiator fans are made with higher static pressure, it doesn't mean they dun't push enough air.
But would it have been the same with a rad on the front as well as the back? I want a radiator on both sides, with no case fans other than the ones on the radiators themselves.

Jul 27, 2019
I figure if the rear radiator is first in the loop, then it will exhaust the hottest air first and drop the fluid temperature slightly before flowing to the front radiator where the larger and cooler intake radiator would drop it even more before heading back to the CPU and GPU.

Well, I had only one radiator and that was at the back set as exhaust but you are right if you have dual rads inline.

Solution