Existing RAID 0 with OS in new build

BJ1979

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Hi,
Please help!

I had a custom build music studio PC, with Win 7 on an SSD RAID 0 array (2 x 128GB).
Now I had to change MB, CPU and RAMs as the following:
ASUS P9X79 PRO -> ASUS X99 Deluxe II
Intel 3930k -> Intel 6900k
4x8GB Corsair Vengeance -> 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z

My issue/challenge is now to try to get the new build to recognise the existing RAID 0 array and boot to Windows! And from there I could hopefully install all new MB drivers and tidy things up, reregister programs etc..
There are just too many programs, libraries, plugins, special settings etc with the belonging licenses and registry entries etc. installed, that I would really not want to make a fresh install of OS and everything :(

I've updated to latest BIOS version 1701 with USB flash.
In BIOS first time, all connected 4 SSDs and 1 HDD (so total of 5) did show.
2 SSDs (2x128GB) were in RAID 0 array in previous setup and now connected to Intel SATA6 controller outputs 1&2, and 2 (128GB + 256GB) are single array disks connected to the 3&4 outputs of the same controller.
There single HDD is connected to an ASMEDIA SATA6 output.
I put the Intel SATA controller mode to RAID, and the ASMEDIA controller mode to AHCI.
Saved & reset, and it gets directly into UEFI BIOS again. There it looks like the RAID 0 array is recognised, after having turned on RST as well and looking into the RST info.
It says RAID 0 Storage Volume of 2 x 128GB. Sounds about right....
But when trying to choose BOOT device and set BOOT disc priority neither the RAID nor the other discs show. Just one 128GB SSD.. which I assume is the one outside the RAID array??

I've reached a dead end for ideas and my knowledge in this.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks and bests,
BJ

Solution
Cloning a RAID image to a non-RAID drive will not work/boot since Windows cannot switch drivers during boot.

The only chance I see is to create an image of your current RAID and then clone it back to a new RAID set up on your new motherboard.

The question is, if the OS with the current driver will be able to work/boot on the new chipset. If the driver does not support both chipsets, the system will not boot.

BJ1979

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017

Hi Emerald, thanks for answering.
Ok I see.
Isn't there a way to load the X99 chipset controller drivers onto the RAID SSDs then, so it can be recognized in the right way? Maybe only place the INF etc files in the Windows folder or OS partition root.. and then get them installed via Windows repair or something??

I would also be open for eg. loading the complete image backup of the RAID 0 which I have, onto a new single disc (maybe an M.2 SSD :) ) if that would then be recognized by the new MB and controller drivers, and could boot Win from it?

Anything to avoid formatting everything and installing new Win, all programs etc....

Cloning a RAID image to a non-RAID drive will not work/boot since Windows cannot switch drivers during boot.

The only chance I see is to create an image of your current RAID and then clone it back to a new RAID set up on your new motherboard.

The question is, if the OS with the current driver will be able to work/boot on the new chipset. If the driver does not support both chipsets, the system will not boot.

Solution