Existing Sata-3 interface, SSD runs at Sata-2 speed

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Hello. I recently received a Toshiba P70-A-11Q notebook. The notebook allows the installation of a 2nd HDD. On the second slot i installed a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD which i installed windows 8 on it.

After installing also the Samsung magician and activated Rapid, i made a benchmark. Here are the results.

rates_zpsd79fc400.jpg

Trying to find why the speeds are so low, my first thoughts went on AHCI. AHCI seems to be finally enabled. Second thought was that the interface the SSD is connected is not SATA-3. The answer is that the port is indeed SATA-3.

After running different software drying to identify if the SSD runs on Sata-2 or 3 i saw following (confusing) which i still am not sure in the end.

Clipboard04_zps5d3d2f1d.jpg

Untitled_1_zps0a2c1562.jpg

Clipboard04_zps62d0e576.jpg

So it seems that the drive is on a SATA-3 but runs at SATA-2 speed ? If not what else could i check?
I know i should be expecting 100-150mb more.

Thank you in advance

SATA 1 (1.5Gb/s) speeds are from 1MB/s to 150MB/s.
SATA 2 (3Gb/s) speeds are from 151MB/s to 300MB/s.
SATA 3 (6Gb/s) speeds are from 301MB/s to 600MB/s.

Your AS-SSD results show that your SSD is performing normally at SATA 3 speeds.

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

First of all thank you for your reply. What you say makes some sense, but:
1) Why do 2-3 apps show that the disk is running on SATA-2
2) Should i expect higher speed rates ?

Thank you

^5 +1 what Dereck47 said.

I have an older Toshiba laptop. Had to update everything Dereck47 mentioned. I also installed new memory with twice the capacity of the original. There was a very noticeable improvement but SSD performance was still lower than benchmarks published for desktop computers.

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

About the intel Rapid driver.
Is there any kind of conflict with the RAPID of Samsung magician ? can i install it without a risk ?

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Now this is disappointing !!!!!
I don't know if this was due to the installation of HCI: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards
but look at those numbers ! 2mb/s write speed ? There is something wrong for sure now.

Clipboard02_zps94b3c5f8.jpg

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I have just uninstalled the Rapid Storage Technology Driver 12.8.2.1000 rebooted and went through the test.
This time i am getting the exact opposite behavior . I get extreme high numbers

Clipboard02_zps6a9ee051.jpg

5000mb/s write as you see on one benchmark . If you compare also the very first screenshot on my first post from AS SSD Benchmark,
the values have changed a lot. Some have increased (like 4k write from 57mb it got up to 288mb)

I don't know. i am totally confused which values are valid. I am also confused what i should do from this point. Install again the drivers ?

Your weird benchmark results are probably due to RAPID mode being enabled. Probably best to disable it until you get everything straightened out.
Reboot your system after you disable RAPID mode and then uninstall all of your Intel drivers that you've installed recently.
Reboot your system and let Windows install its own default drivers.
Benchmark your drive with Samsung Magician and see how things look.

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
So i have installed the latest Intel RST drivers, disabled RAPID (Magician) and rerun the test.

Does this look any better, assuming the drive runs on Sata-3 interface ?

Clipboard03_zps0330946c.jpg

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Problem solved. I added the SSD on the pripary caddy and it runs on SATA-3. Cadd2 on this laptop is a SATA-2 as all the softwares show.
Finally the speeds are now close to 450mb/s .

Alarms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

No. Not yet. I didn't swap the disks. I have to find first brackets in order to fit the HDD on the 2nd drive slot.
I got to see on the web if i can find something for this. I am not risking let the HDD lose hanging just by the SATA connector.