Expanding Laptop's Graphics Card

fasihxkhatib

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Is it possible to expand a laptop's graphics card?
I have hp dv4-2126tx with 512mb ati raedon graphics card.
IF POSSIBLE
pls tell me the compatible ones.

Solution
Yes, you have to display the image on a separate screen, not on the one on your laptop.

As to the bandwidth, it means it can only run a slow gpu efficiently. Put a fast gpu in there and the fast gpu will just be as fastd as the slow one due to bottleneck.
I don't think that laptop has MXM graphics card so you cannot swap it out.

You have two option:

1. vidock if you have expresscard slot or 2. you can open the computer and use the mini pcie connector, connect mini pcie connector to pcie x16 converter and a desktop psu for power. But I don't think you want to do number 2 because you have no mobility at all. Either way, your graphics card will be very bottlenecked by the bandwidth and they cost money which IMO is not worth it and is better spend on a desktop gaming build or a gaming laptop if you need mobile gaming.

Google for a product called ViDock which is an external casing for a desktop video card. There are a few versions range from about $200 - $300. The more expensive the case, the more powerful video card you can install. Of course you should find out what is the most powerful card you can install for each version before making your decision.

Don't forget, it's $200 - $300 + the price of the video card. Don't forget that you'll need to plug that baby into an A/C outlet.

^+1

The price of vidock combined with a decent card like a 6670 and you can almost get yourself a game ready laptop.

So it is better to sell the current one and combine with that $300-400 upgrade for vidock and gpu to get a new laptop.

Yes, you have to display the image on a separate screen, not on the one on your laptop.

As to the bandwidth, it means it can only run a slow gpu efficiently. Put a fast gpu in there and the fast gpu will just be as fastd as the slow one due to bottleneck.

Solution