Expanding the DNS namespace...

Scott

I am currently blessed with the wonderful task of
documenting an infrastructure that was 'here when I got
here' and all of the "documentation" was all in my
predecessors head!

Current setup:

We have a root domain that sits in the UK site. We also
have a child domain (UK) that sits in the same site and on
the same subnet.
All of the european locations are in their own sites and
on their own subnets... i.e Spain is in the ES site,
Sweden is in the SE site etc.
The root DNS has been set up so the root DC's are
authoratative for the first portion of the namespace i.e
root-fs.com
The child domains DNS has been set up so the child DC's
are authoratative for their own portion of the namespace
i.e uk.root-fs.com for the UK and es.root-fs.com for Spain
etc. etc.
I have replicated the DNS in the root domain successfully
and documented its setup, what I need to know is:

How do I extend the namespace whilst building the child
domains so that it's all nicely integrated into DNS etc.

Can anybody help?

In news:2ce3701c469af$82c1d1b0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Scott <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I am currently blessed with the wonderful task of
> documenting an infrastructure that was 'here when I got
> here' and all of the "documentation" was all in my
> predecessors head!
>
> Current setup:
>
> We have a root domain that sits in the UK site. We also
> have a child domain (UK) that sits in the same site and on
> the same subnet.
> All of the european locations are in their own sites and
> on their own subnets... i.e Spain is in the ES site,
> Sweden is in the SE site etc.
> The root DNS has been set up so the root DC's are
> authoratative for the first portion of the namespace i.e
> root-fs.com
> The child domains DNS has been set up so the child DC's
> are authoratative for their own portion of the namespace
> i.e uk.root-fs.com for the UK and es.root-fs.com for Spain
> etc. etc.
> I have replicated the DNS in the root domain successfully
> and documented its setup, what I need to know is:
>
> How do I extend the namespace whilst building the child
> domains so that it's all nicely integrated into DNS etc.
>
> Can anybody help?

Each child name will need to be delegated in the parent zone to the DNS
servers that hold the child zone.
255248 - HOW TO Create a Child Domain in Active Directory and Delegate the
DNS Namespace to the Child Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255248

--
Best regards,