[SOLVED] Expanding wi-fi network using wall ethernet plugs

Mar 22, 2020
Hello Everyone,

After a long research on the forum and over the internet i ended up opening a thread in here to seek for your help.

The Situation:
1) I have moved to a new house that have an infrastructure for cat6 ethernet cables running into every room ends with a rj45 wall ethernet plug and have a panel at the entrance (will be called panel) that leaves all ethernets cables coming from the rooms unconnected in there, all with rj45 installed.
2)My ISP installed a GPON device (may be called a modem) in the panel and a router in the living room for my internet to be up and running. Inside the panel there is fiber optic cable end, they plugged fiber optic to the GPON device and plugged ethernet cable to it which goes to my living room. And router is connected to the living room wall ethernet plug by the WAN port. Everything is fine until now.

The Request:
I want to expand the wifi coverage of my router to the bedroom, which also have a wall ethernet plug.

Hardware I Have:
-GPON Device (Nokia G-010G-Q) / provided by ISP
-Router (ZTE H298A Home Gateway) / provided by ISP
-Additional router (TP-Link TD-W9970-v3)
-Gigabit ethernet switch (TP-Link LS1005G)

The Issue:
I have installed the switch inside the panel and have the network as ;

fiber optic cable > GPON > ethernet > SWITCH

and then i have connected both living room and bedroom to the switch. then i have connected wall ethernet in living room to the router WAN port. then i have connected the bedroom wall ethernet to the additional routers LAN port. there seems no problem in the cabling since i see LAN led is blinking on the device.

i have previously made the settings of the additional router so that it will be a bridge. since the ip address of the main router is 192.168.1.1 , i have given 192.168.1.2 to the bridge and turned DHCP off.

However there is no internet over wifi on the bridge. When i plug the bridge directly to the router there is no problem.

I also uploaded some photos of the panel in below link;
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Vg7p3X4

I suspect the problem is connecting the switch on the wrong location since bridge is not connected to one of the LAN ports of the router however to the WAN port of the router. however i cannot figure out how i can solve this puzzle without additional cabling inside the house. If you can help with my network i would be appretiated.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Your are exactly correct. The switch is in the wrong location.

It must go fiber-gpon-router-swtich.

Now if you happen to have 2 ethernet cables that go to the living room your could plug 1 into the gpon and hook it to the wan port. You could then hook a lan cable to the second port and run it back to the panel and hook it to the switch.

Otherwise you need some kind of router in the pannel. Worst case you buy some inexpensive router (make sure it has gigabit ports for wan and lan) and turn off the wifi and use it as a wired only router. You would then run both your other routers as AP. (which is what you are describing about using lan ports and turning off dhcp).

Although most people get poor coverage from these...

Now if you happen to have 2 ethernet cables that go to the living room your could plug 1 into the gpon and hook it to the wan port. You could then hook a lan cable to the second port and run it back to the panel and hook it to the switch.

Otherwise you need some kind of router in the pannel. Worst case you buy some inexpensive router (make sure it has gigabit ports for wan and lan) and turn off the wifi and use it as a wired only router. You would then run both your other routers as AP. (which is what you are describing about using lan ports and turning off dhcp).

Although most people get poor coverage from these panel location you could leave the wifi on it you like.

Almost all routers can do close to 1gbit wan-lan. I would avoid $20 routers but something that costs $50 should have no issues.

Solution
Mar 22, 2020

Although most people get poor coverage from these panel location you could leave the wifi on it you like.

Almost all routers can do close to 1gbit wan-lan. I would avoid $20 routers but something that costs $50 should have no issues.

thanks a lot for your recommendation. i will definitely try putting the router inside the panel since it is harder for me to put additional cable from panel to the living room.
i will close the case as soon as i solve the network.

an additional question;
is there any risk of overheating for the router since i will put it inside a closed pannel?

Many of those panels have vented doors. Most routers are rated to function in fairly high temperatures. This is one of those watch it and if it looks like it is getting too high you try to solve the issue. There was a guy a few years ago posted a photo here where he had a server in one of those wall cabinets and had put small fans into the door.

Reactions: walkingoff