Expansion options for this PC?

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
My computer is starting to get a little sluggish, and I got a bit of money, so I decided I'd put a bit towards upgrading my PC. It's starting to get pretty old, and I'll probably replace it next year, so I'd preferably like to get something that I could carry on to my next build. This computer was store bought, and I hate it. :p

Heres the specs:

Mobo: DIG43L7/aGreyHound
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core e5300 2.6 GHz
RAM: 3GB, 8 GB sitting on shelf for sale
OS: 32 bit windows, planning on going 64 bit so I can use my extra RAM
HDD: 2x 300GB HDD
DVD Drive: 1x Some DVD drive
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500
PSU: Delta PSU, 220W
Case: Some crappy looking tiny case.

I was thinking I could get a nice new case, that way I could carry it into the new build and it wouldn't really be money wasted when I scrap this computer in a year. What do you guys think?

Budget by the way is $50-100.

Thanks!

Solution
That amount of money will buy a decent case. It probably isn't enough to put to anything else really meaningful, unless you believe a HD7750 will meet your long term needs. It's a lot better than what you have, but is the minimum needed to play modern games with "sufferable" settings, so you'll probably want more.
That amount of money will buy a decent case. It probably isn't enough to put to anything else really meaningful, unless you believe a HD7750 will meet your long term needs. It's a lot better than what you have, but is the minimum needed to play modern games with "sufferable" settings, so you'll probably want more.

Solution

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Honestly, I'm fine with my ancient Radeon, I don't play any high-end games, my computer is mostly for school work, web browsing, video streaming, and software development. Any suggestions on a case that would house my Mobo properly? And I considered a SSD too, would it really make that much of a difference?

USAFRet

Titan
$100 budget + "crappy looking tiny case" = not a lot you can do.

A GPU you could fit in that case will be crippled for future use.
A new case might work with that motherboard, but will do nothing for current performance.
Retail Windows 7 or 8 will allow you to use all of that RAM, and you can carry that forward.
An SSD you can move into the new build.

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I already have a disc for Windoews 7 64 bit and I think a case is what I want most, unless an SSD would REALLY improve performance. I'm kind of contradicting my OP, but whatever :p

Would a mini-ATX case hold a Micro-ATX mobo properly? And what cases do you guys recomend?