Discussion Expectations for Rocket Lake?

Hi, as many of you might now, Intel 11th Gen Rocket Lake CPU's are coming March 15th.
I want to hear your expectations and will you consider purchasing it for a future build.
I am personally planning on buying it if i can afford the i5 11th Gen, but we shall see about that.
Appart from the IPC increase, do you see this series as intel's comeback against their battle vs Ryzen 5000 series?
I want to hear your thoughts.

Beat AMD in gaming by ~5% at stock.
Lose in most productivity, but win in some single core dependent workloads.
Cost similar amount to AMD 5000 when comparing similar core count.
Draw 2x the power of AMD CPUs with same core count.
Have better overclocking results than AMD Ryzen 5000.
And have better availability than Ryzen 5000.

Reactions: Why_Me and Dj0gany
I hope that becomes a reality.
That is expected, isnt it?
Depends on the country, but i agree.
Is that the situation between 10th Gen and 5000 series, or will that become a reality with the new 11th Gen?
Hasn't that always been the case, has it?
I certanly hope so : )

Is that the situation between 10th Gen and 5000 series, or will that become a reality with the new 11th Gen?
With reviews only running one software for testing power draw, the one with the highest power draw, and only releasing one single number of power draw, the single highest point measured, people have associated PL2 as being the normal resting power draw of intel. PL2 is rated at 250W from the get go by intel and no measuring was ever needed to find that out, since that is about twice what ryzen claims as TDP many people have just adopted it as being true.

Reactions: Dj0gany
D

Deleted member 2838871

I want to hear your thoughts.

As you know I built with the 10900k in December mainly for availability reasons and IIRC the 11th gen wasn't yet announced. Upon hearing the announcement not waiting was IMHO the best choice. 10 cores is fine with me and an 11th gen 8 core CPU almost feels like a downgrade... kinda like an 11GB 1080 Ti vs a 10GB 3080 does. :LOL:

I think my board supports the 11th gen but I don't see a point. Now if you're like me and have a CPU from 3+ generations ago like I did prior to this build (7700k) then by all means, go for the 11th gen...

... and I reserve the right to change my mind but don't really see that happening. I'm got quite a few YT subs from the latest hardware guys and none of them are doing cartwheels over the 11th gen despite some of the obvious perks like IPC and availability. They are all saying "ZOMG wait till the 12th gen Intel is saying it's coming in December!" :ROFLMAO::LOL:

With reviews only running one software for testing power draw, the one with the highest power draw, and only releasing one single number of power draw, the single highest point measured, people have associated PL2 as being the normal resting power draw of intel. PL2 is rated at 250W from the get go by intel and no measuring was ever needed to find that out, since that is about twice what ryzen claims as TDP many people have just adopted it as being true.
What you are saying would be the case if the chip stuck to that 250w PL2, but in most boards, it doesn't.

While the PL2 power limit is at 250w for the 10900k, and it runs well over 300w for indefinite amount of time in many boards.

Intel set its official new PL2 watermark at a 250W TDP, which is double the 125W PL1 rating, and recommends that motherboard makers keep boost activity limited to 56 second bursts (Tau). However, motherboard vendors are free to exceed all of these limits at stock settings if they feel their product can handle the increased voltages, current, and heat.

While Intel designed its 250W limit to keep thermals 'manageable' with a wide variety of cooling solutions, most motherboard vendors feed the chip up to ~330W of power at stock settings...

To find the power limit associated with our chip paired with the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Master motherboard, we ran a few Prime95 tests with AVX enabled (small FFT). During those tests, we recorded up to 332W of power consumption when paired with either the Corsair H115i 280mm AIO watercooler or a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler.
Intel Core i9-10900K Power Consumption, Turbo Boost, Thermals - Intel Core i9-10900K Review: Ten Cores, 5.3 GHz, and Excessive Power Draw | Tom's Hardware

What you are saying would be the case if the chip stuck to that 250w PL2, but in most boards, it doesn't.

While the PL2 power limit is at 250w for the 10900k, and it runs well over 300w for indefinite amount of time in many boards.
Exactly, the CPUs doesn't NEED that much power, they get misconfigured by mobo makers so that they can claim better numbers in mobo benches.

Also most reviews will clearly state no limit/max turbo/mce or something like that when they bench with power limits disabled.

Right, but at out of the box settings in most cases, that is the power consumption.
And that's fine because anybody that is power conscious can just put the limit back in, they can even put it even lower and only boost whenever they want to, that's why things like throttle stop and intel's extreme tuning utilities exists.

While many boards on AMDs side do violate limits too, the CPUs still draw much less power in general, even in these cases.
But that is only because ryzen doesn't have any additional clocking overhead, they don't have any turbo time, they always run at the same clocks for the same amount of cores.

D

Deleted member 2838871

It needs to do something, because Ryzen 3 is kicking their asses from the mid to semi high end cpus...Running cooler and on lower power consumption.

Maybe it's just me... but those are issues that I really could care less about.

Yeah the 10900k runs warm... and paired with a 360mm cooler it's not an issue.

Power consumption? I really could give a rat's. A decent PSU and again... not an issue.

When I was going to build my PC a couple months ago I definitely wasn't standing around thinking about whether or not I should buy the 10900k now at retail price or wait 1/2/3/4/5/6/???? months for an AMD CPU for the lower power consumption.

Thought never crossed my mind.

P.S. Before the AMD fanbois chime in with "ZOMG Ryzen is better" I'll just say it doesn't matter how good it is when it's not available anywhere for purchase.

Reactions: Why_Me and Dj0gany
Currently 'lower' end ryzen like 3300X/1600AF are 160$, while the 10100F being 100$. (im my country)
The motherboard and the ram for 10100F will cost around 150$.
The motherboard and ram for the 3300X/1600AF will cost 310$.
So for the 10100F combo, the price is 250$.
For the 3300X/1600AF combo, the price is 310$.
And 60$ really is a solid amount of money, so when i saw that i can get better performance from the i3 than Ryzen 3/5, i didnt hesitate a single bit.
I didnt buy it still, but im still on the Intel's side.
Crazy how a year ago Ryzen was considered the best budget option, well now, the table's have turned.

Reactions: Why_Me

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Honestly it's just more of the same imo, another factory overclocked 14nm+++++++ clone of the 7700K but with a couple more cores, extra ground pins and chipset firmware locks so you can't run them on older mobos. Yay.

Before the screeching starts I'm not an AMD fangrill, AMD is kind of following Intel and nvidia's path, first the clowntracing on RX 6000 series just to justify the price increase then the 5XXX ryzens that are just factory overclocked 3XXX's with a tiny increase in single core perf that's still beyond Intel's.
CPU's aren't massively improving from one generation to another like before, and what you save on a Ryzen you spend it on faster RAM.
I got myself the 5800X and it'll stay there for 6-7 years I hope.