[SOLVED] Expected CAS 15 but I see CAS 19?

matmcnic

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2014
Hi --

I just bought and installed:
Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model BL2K8G30C15U4B (Newegg)

The specs say CAS 15 but my system shows CAS 19.

System:
CyberPowerPC with an ASRock B360M Xtreme, Intel i5-9400F

I have the BIOS (OC Tweeker Settings) set to AUTO and this is what it selected:

DRAM Frequency:
DDR4-2666 (I don't have XMP settings in the BIOS so I assume I am limited to JDEC speeds for this)

Primary Timing:
CAS# Latency: 19
RAS# to CAS# Delay and Raw Precharge (tRCDtRP): 19
RAS# Active Time (tRAS): 43
Command Rate (CR): 2N

Secondary Timing:
Write Recovery Time (tWR): 21
Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC): 467
RAS to RAS Delay (tRRD_L): 7
RAS to RAS Delay (tRRD_S): 4

Can I (should I?) make changes to achieve a better CAS or just leave the AUTO on?

Thank you!

Solution
Because the rated specs are for xmp setting, not for default setting.

9thGen default memory controller set speed is 2666MHz. Default for DDR4 is 2133MHz, but cpu default overrides that so plug-n-play you get 2666MHz. In the jedec tables on that ram is a listing for 2666MHz C19. So that's what you get.

In order to get the rams rated speed of 3000 C15, you need xmp or set them manually. And it's surprising there isn't one, really.

For the ASRock B360M Pro4 (try this on yours) open the "OC Tweaker" menu in the BIOS, then "DRAM Configuration", then "DRAM Timing Configuration" to load the XMP settings. I believe it's Profile 1 Level 1.

It should be there, that's from an ASR rep. Have you successfully updated the bios according to...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

9thGen default memory controller set speed is 2666MHz. Default for DDR4 is 2133MHz, but cpu default overrides that so plug-n-play you get 2666MHz. In the jedec tables on that ram is a listing for 2666MHz C19. So that's what you get.

In order to get the rams rated speed of 3000 C15, you need xmp or set them manually. And it's surprising there isn't one, really.

For the ASRock B360M Pro4 (try this on yours) open the "OC Tweaker" menu in the BIOS, then "DRAM Configuration", then "DRAM Timing Configuration" to load the XMP settings. I believe it's Profile 1 Level 1.

It should be there, that's from an ASR rep. Have you successfully updated the bios according to ASR guidelines? Including the associated media?

Solution

matmcnic

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2014

Thanks -- that explains what/why I am seeing my numbers and it makes sense.

The BIOS has several Profiles available listed but they all are set to "Empty."

It should be there, that's from an ASR rep. Have you successfully updated the bios according to ASR guidelines? Including the associated media?

The CyberpowerPC/ASrock B360M Xtreme seems to be a custom ASRock board for CyberPowerPC (I assume based on the ASRock B360m Pro4). I don't see any bios updates available anywhere. The board is not listed on ASRock's site.

msinfo32 shows SMBIOS version is 3.1 from 05/08/2019
CPUz shows BIOS version is P4.10 from 05/08/2019
(I don't know why the versions are different msinfo32 vs CPUz?)

I could set the voltages manually in the BIOS but I don't want to end up in a state where I can't recover the board.

Thanks

Last edited: