[SOLVED] Expected improvement from reapplying thermal paste ?

Dec 12, 2018
Product: Pavilion Gaming 15-Cx0020nr

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

Memory: 8gb 2666mhz ddr4

CPU: i5 8300h

GPU:GTX 1050ti

I've ordered a pavilion gaming 15 laptop and from my research on the system it seems to get max temps of 99 degrees C after extended gaming sessions . I've linked a screenshot from a video review by Mathew Moniz for reference. I plan to swap the thermal paste for either Noctua nt-h1 or thermal grizzly kryonaut(arctic mx-4 seems to perform worse than the previous 2 so i'll be avoiding that).Which paste would give me the best reduction in temps and how much of a reduction can i expect after re-pasting both the cpu and gpu. Additionally if the system still runs hot i'll try undervolting it as youtbe channel OWNorDISOWN has with -1.50mv .(though i'll start at -0.5mv and slowly work my way down to ensure my system remains stable.

Screenshot: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/197927iB44BCD12456426F7/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999

Solution
I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut all the time and I think it works great.

As far as how much a drop you will see....I think that basically depends upon how good the paste job is on there now and how snug the cooler is.

If it's a crappy paste job and the cooler isn't snug now...you will see a bigger drop.

....but I think going with Thermal Grizzly is the right thing to do. I did some research a while back and it did VERY well.
I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut all the time and I think it works great.

As far as how much a drop you will see....I think that basically depends upon how good the paste job is on there now and how snug the cooler is.

If it's a crappy paste job and the cooler isn't snug now...you will see a bigger drop.

....but I think going with Thermal Grizzly is the right thing to do. I did some research a while back and it did VERY well.

Solution
Dec 12, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion. As for the expected temp decrease. I just need a best case scenario

Best case would be if the current paste job and cooler mounting were horrible.....and I could see you getting tons of improvement.

As far as numbers....that's a tough call...but I wouldn't be surprised at a 10-20C drop between a crap cooler job and a good one.....and maybe quite a bit more.

Dec 12, 2018

alright, thanks for the help. I'll leave this question open a bit longer to see if anyone has had a similar experience adn can provide more insight

TRENDING THREADS