expected results of down scaling 4K to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehardwarehacker

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
hello, ive got a question about resolution scaling and quality. if i were to recorder a video with a 4k camcorder, and export it as 1080p video, effectively down scaling it, what effects could i expect the video to have as a result?

thanks in advance.

All depends on the type of resizer you use. For the most part, you'll just lose luma resolution but actually keep most of the chroma resolution (assuming your camcorder doesn't actually use 4:4:4 and your video format records in 24/30bits per color or 4:4:4). In some rare cases you might see artifacting, but changing the scaler method generally fixes that. If you want slight sharpness increases, use a lanczos or bicubic (sharp) type filter, often people won't be able to tell the difference between 1080p rescaled video using a sharper downsizer and the original video.

You can also expect the video to take up less space and have smoother playback.

thehardwarehacker

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

ok, so with that in mind, and i know this falls under personal choice more than anything else, would i be better off getting a standard HD camcorder, and not worry about downsizing?

You'll lose some (though not much considering the quality of lenses) color quality, but it's all up to you. Re-sizing isn't hard, just a bit time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.